SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

I asked about purchasing a sailboat in the US and bringing it back to Canada in a earlier thread. The information I received was very helpful and the process seems quite straight forward? For me to land transport the boat from Waterford CT. US to western Lake Ontario is expensive (understood)
What I'm wondering is where could you transport from Waterford, and staying on the US side transport to a marina and sail it back to western Lake Ontario.
We do not have a lot of experience and would need an experienced sailor to accompany us on this trip. Speaking with a Custom Broker this is the easier way of bringing the boat back here.
BTW the vessel is a Albin Vega 27....Your comments appreciated.

Cheers,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good Choice on a boat btw, That is a long way to sail a boat even with experience. Although once you are out of long island sound and past Hells Gate in NYC the journey could be doable. if you trailer your boat to a point somewhere above New York (check www.activecaptain.com) you could motor sail up the Hudson to the Canal, drop your mast at Castleton, motor to Oswego on lake Ontario, put your stick back up then an easy sail marina hopping home. I sailed a fair bit on my friends Albin Vega, not a complicated boat. Learn as you go. Of course this depends on how well the engine and boat are serviced, boat registration, insurance and all the details necessary to legally sail a boat, anyway that aside, it is possible and would be a great adventure. you can do it.

·
Registered
Beneteau 361
146 Posts
The closest US location to you is probably Youngstown yacht club. Check if they can help you unload/commission the boat. From there it is a short sail/motor to Port Dalhousie. Then all you need to do is call CBSA line and give them your credit card number for taxes.

·
19,484 Posts
My understanding is that it's also cheaper to truck within the US as opposed to having the truck cross the border and go through customs that way - though to some extent that does seem to depend on the trucking outfit or even the driver himself.

Most used boats that come into BC are trucked to nearby Blaine WA, and sailed home from there - but it's a relatively easy 40NM trip from there to Vancouver, shorter to the nearest Customs in the Islands.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

When I contacted US transport companies most of them wanted nothing to do with a border crossing. I ended up contacting a Canadian Company who would pick up and deliver this vessel on a re bound trip.
The Customs Broker did say it was easier to bring a vessel to Canada from the US by water than land?
I really want to know where the vessel could be delivered more easterly on Lake Ontario to shorten the land delivery expense from Waterford CT.
Thanks All,

·
Registered
541 Posts
The closest US location to you is probably Youngstown yacht club. Check if they can help you unload/commission the boat. From there it is a short sail/motor to Port Dalhousie. Then all you need to do is call CBSA line and give them your credit card number for taxes.
+1
This is the way to go. Its easy to truck it in, but like you said, finding a reasonable cross-border transporter is a challenge.
Where are you located? Will you sail to Lake Ontario? The location to launch the boat in the US side will depend on the answer - Lake Erie like Skalashn said or many other choices on Lake Ontario such as Wilson, Rochester, Sodus Point, etc.
I did truck my boat in from the US, paid a flat fee to the broker and the HST, pretty straight forward.
But whatever place you choose contact them make arrangements before you hire the transporter.

Edit: I did not realize that you are in St. Catharines, and Skalashn's post is the best way as he mentioned Youngstown, and that is on Lake Ontario, not Erie....

·
Registered
Beneteau 361
146 Posts
Where are you located? Will you sail to Lake Ontario? The location to launch the boat in the US side will depend on the answer - Lake Erie like Skalashn said or many other choices on Lake Ontario such as Wilson, Rochester, Sodus Point, etc.
OP's location says Port Dalhousie hence the recommendation of Youngstown which is by the way on Lake Ontario not Erie.

I really want to know where the vessel could be delivered more easterly on Lake Ontario to shorten the land delivery expense from Waterford CT.
Thanks All,
You can probably unload in Oswego or Sodus if you want to save the land miles...however if you consider the travel expenses, possibly waiting for weather in a marina etc...making a 100+ mile trip in unfamiliar untested boat...it may not be worth the hassle.

Frankly if you can spare a few weeks why not just bring her from CT on her own bottom. Great learning experience and not that difficult. Or even make it a vacation and cruise LIS before coming here.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
9,026 Posts
Money... and lots of it, can solve any problem. If you are looking to buy an old boat that costs less to buy then it would to just load it onto a trailer much less transport it it. It's time to stop.... and think.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Albin Vega weighs about 5000lbs. and is 8'1 beam so no special permit for towing. the cheap DIY option (assuming it is on a cradle), rent a car hauler trailer and truck from uhaul, load it on strap it down good with 6 nice wide cargo straps cross triangulated.
I encourage you to give some consideration to the sailing option mentioned above..

·
19,484 Posts
True.. we once trailered a 24 foot day racer on a borrowed cradle and a borrowed flat deck trailer (I think the trailer weighed more than anything) with a V8Ford Explorer over three highway summits and 450 miles.

It was a long day.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great replies, thanks.

I live in St. Catharines and the boat will be moored some where around here, there are a few options. One of the Marinas we like is Smugglers Cove on the Lower Niagara River, so Youngstown would be a perfect drop off.
I'm really trying to reduce the transportation costs simply because the Us/Canadian conversion is just too expensive right now.
If there was an Albin Vega 27 on this side of the border to purchase at the price this one is selling for, I'd buy it here. The easier option obviously is to buy here and there are those options for sale eg. C&C 27 and Northern 29 which I really like.
Oswego is the location I was looking for? BTW bringing the boat here on a U-Haul car hauler is a great idea although this vessel is on jack stands.

Thanks again,

·
19,484 Posts
Great replies, thanks.

.......BTW bringing the boat here on a U-Haul car hauler is a great idea although this vessel is on jack stands.

Thanks again,
The cost to have the boat lifted onto a cradle on a trailer will be much less than hiring a trucker.. This is a small enough boat to make this idea quite practical, even perhaps if you needed to rent the appropriate tow vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.