SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
KPS'08
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My name is Chris and I am an unlimited tonnage marine engineer looking to live-aboard. I am starting my search for a 50-100' sailboat, in the need of some TLC. I want to be able to sail the east coast and beyond with my girlfriend, and one day small family. I have some sailing (far-40s and J-24s) and extensive large boat (60'+) handling experience.

Assuming a $160k buy budget, my question is, what type/manufacturer of sailboat should I be looking at? Pros/cons of single vs twin mast? Steel v fiberglass? Are wood hulls drastically more expensive/work?

Thank you for any information you are willing to share.
Chris
KPS

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,488 Posts
I'd suggest 4 J-24s to add up to a 100 feet with 4 bedrooms.

Before you invest in a 100 feet fixer upper find out how much it costs to dock or haul it out for maintenance and see if you can afford it.

·
KPS'08
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I'm serious. No I dont think $ or time will be an issue. I only work 6 months a year and do just fine financially. After talking with people who have lived aboard I hear that a 45-55 LOA is plenty for 2-3 people so that's where I'm going to focus my search. I have researched maintenance, insurance and dockage costs. If you could look past that part of my inquiry and try to give some honest advice to someone trying to make a dream come true I'd appreciate it.

Cartgate and Mbetter, thank you for your comments.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
Don't let others affect your desire wanting a bigger boat. Size does matters either it is referring to a certain body parts, car or boat. Just go out the get a 100 footer, sailing into their home port or show us some pictures. :)

Good luck and make yourself happy.

·
Maine Dub
215 Posts
Do you plan to to sail with 1 or 2 fellow sailors or are you looking to,single hand the boat. How much cruising as opposed to living at anchor/ on a dock? If you plan to blast off when you get your 6 month break you might want something faster than comfy at the dock. The good news is that there are lots of 35 to 60 foot boats out there in various states of repair. I would start looking at 40 to 50 ft boats and reading about them to help you zero in on the boat for you. If you enjoy maintaining the vessle yourself you can save much money and maybe look at larger boats in need of refit if time is on your side. I envy your future. Good luck with the search.:D

·
KPS'08
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan on sailing with my girlfriend most of the time. We are planing on taking a three month honeymoon when we are ready to cast of to the south and go. Thank you for the fast v comfy advice.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Buy the smallest boat that meets your needs, not the biggest you think you might be able to manage.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There used to be a interesting collection of boats in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Boats brought over accross the Atlantic and retiring charter boats (for tax purposes). Worth a check. how big a boat can you handle? I think you should consider under 44 ft.

·
Water Lover
773 Posts
Just about any boat should have sufficient needs and wants to satisfy your urge to tinker, repair, maintain, and improve.

Bigger and smaller boats have a variety of pros and cons that you might not have thought about much yet. Bigger boats for example, will probably have more motion comfort at sea -- but the design also plays a huge part. On the other hand, bigger boats tend to have deeper draft, which will prevent you from exploring some places or entering some ports of refuge. And, the higher "air draft" of bigger sailboats will limit your access to the Intercoastal Waterway and some harbors and ports. Slips are more available in some sizes than others, varying with location.

And, two boats of the same size could vary radically in terms of useful stowage space, robust construction, useful handholds and safety features, etc.

Finally, mistakes tend to be more expensive and "forceful" on larger vessels. The good news is that sailing basics can be learned on cheaper, slower, other people's boats -- sailing schools, crewing for other sailors, sailing clubs and co-ops, etc. -- and then transferred to your bigger boat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got a 26' Grampian for you to buy! Im joking, I keep. But I second JonBs notion of buying the smallest boat that fits your needs, not the largest you can manage.

In addition, $160k will get you into a fairly nice Fountain Pajot, or smaller Lagoon. Cats are stable, roomy, and shallow drafting.
Good luck, sir.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,488 Posts
One thing to consider there is more than twice the boat when you double the size. So there is a big difference between a 50 footer and 100 footer, although I have only been on one boat bigger than 45'. Just a guess on my part but parts for a 50 footer would be 4 times the cost of a 25 foot boat.

A 70' 160k fixer upper might take another 200k to fix up and a few years. Also a newbie crew or most any crew will not be able to handle a 70' boat. You might want to get started on the family to populate the boat and raising a crew.:laugher

In all serious though sounds like you have the money, time and probably knowledge to make this happen. If I had $150k to spend to see the world on a boat I would buy this
1990 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

and go now. Or if you just want to explore the coast for now buy this.
Springline Yacht Sales, LLC (Mystic, CT)

and go now. You can't go wrong with a boat built by Pacific Seacraft, although there are plenty of others in this style to choose from, I just really like PS boats. Don't buy the boat for your eventual family because you will have to find or hire crew to sail it. You could maybe also go to boats in the mid 40' range. At 38' and above consider yawls, ketches or cutter rigs to break down the sails into smaller bite size pieces. More sails means each sail is smaller and more manageable for a small crew.

Go small go now.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There is a huge difference between a 50ft boat and a 100ft boat. A 100ft boat in your price range would probably be in such a poor state of repair that you'd be a slave to the boat for years, trying to put things right. Boat size is something personal, but something to consider is how much time you'll need to put in to keep up your boat. A 50ft boat is a lot of work to maintain. A 100ft boat is a full-time job unless you plan on having paid crew to do the work. Then there's the colossal amount of money you need to keep a 100ft boat going. If you plan on cruising with your wife and enjoying new places, perhaps a smaller boat is more practical. Do you want to spend your time in port chasing down parts, fixing, painting, polishing, washing etc. or exploring new places and sampling the local wines and food? For some, the trade off for a big boat is acceptable, for others it's not. Anyhow, just something to think about.

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,115 Posts

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
The reality is that there are a great many boats in the 40 to 50 foot range that would meet your needs and if the people on this board were to suggest six suitable ones there would be a hundred others that would be missed. Time spent on yachtworld.com using different search parameters is well worth it since you can see what style of boat appeals to you: rig, hull material, interior arrangements, general aesthetics, etc. Also, it makes considerable sense to talk about displacement rather than length since two fifty footers are hugely different if one is 12 tons and another is 25 tons.

Seems like you are in a good situation with six on/six off. We met an Aussie in Tahiti who worked in the mines for 5 weeks on and 5 off. When his shift ended he hopped on a plane to his boat. If you six months you could do some serious cruising since in areas with tropical cyclones (eg Caribbean and much of the South Pacific) you have to leave the area for many months at a time.

If you have to ask about maintenance of a wood boat you don't want one. Stick to fiberglass, steel, or possibly aluminum although the latter are rare outside France.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
There is a huge difference between a 50ft boat and a 100ft boat. A 100ft boat in your price range would probably be in such a poor state of repair that you'd be a slave to the boat for years, trying to put things right. Boat size is something personal, but something to consider is how much time you'll need to put in to keep up your boat. A 50ft boat is a lot of work to maintain. A 100ft boat is a full-time job unless you plan on having paid crew to do the work. Then there's the colossal amount of money you need to keep a 100ft boat going. If you plan on cruising with your wife and enjoying new places, perhaps a smaller boat is more practical. Do you want to spend your time in port chasing down parts, fixing, painting, polishing, washing etc. or exploring new places and sampling the local wines and food? For some, the trade off for a big boat is acceptable, for others it's not. Anyhow, just something to think about.
There have been a couple of Ocean 71's in local waters. I was drooling over one from the dock one day when I realized there wasn't a single piece of hardware on deck that would cost less than a days pay. A single turnbuckle would be $hundreds and there were nearly two dozen of them (it was a ketch). Just a toggle on one of the shrouds would have cost $100 at least - they must have been 5 Lbs of S/S each. Any of the sails would cost as much as a decent cruising boat of a sane size.

The thing was a ship, not a boat. The forces involved when the sails were loaded must have been staggering.

The move to 100' would double everything again. It would take a 7 digit expenditure every year to keep a 100' going.

·
KPS'08
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for the advice, links and help. I've got 8 boats ranging from 38-62' that I've inquired about. I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks again

1 - 20 of 25 Posts