SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey sailnet. I have a budget of about $2000 for my first sailboat and it has to be trailerable. I was wondering if there were any options that can go out on the Chesapeake bay on a calm day. I know I can get a sunfish with that budget, but do you guys know of a better boat within the budget. Thx for your help!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi Sailor,

You would need to provide a little more information for folks to be able to make useful recommendations, but I'll toss out a couple of suggestions anyway. A Sunfish is an awesome boat (I love mine), but I assume you want a similar size boat that you can sit in rather than on. Use a craigslist search tool and search on keywords sailboat and trailer and you will find many options in your price range. Here's a couple that caught my eye:

Sumner Boat Co. Islands 15 with electric motor and trailer - looks like it was well cared for:
15' sailboat with trailor

Tanzer 14 sailboat and load-rite trailer:
Tanzer 14 Sailboat

I came across this video of a kid sailing his Tanzer 14 on a lake and the smile on his face says it all. I can't wait for winter to be over!

Of course, you want boat / trailer that is in good shape and comes with all of the pieces, but make sure you can get clear title to the boat and trailer also.

To really hone in on some good boats for you, you may want to provide info about your sailing experience, car's towing capacity, whether you will be singlehanding or, if not, how many folks will be sailing with you. If you're trailer-sailing alone, you will be constrained by the size mast that you can step by yourself. The Sunfish might look a lot more appealing when you're struggling to get a 20'+ mast upright and rigged!

Good luck with the search!

·
Registered
109 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.