SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
I will be a first time BVI charterer next year. I'd like some info on Trellis Bay/ Beef Island. How easy is the airport access? How close is it to Virgin Gorda? Is it a one day sail from the Bitter End? Or should I be closer in (one day out)? What is the noise level from the airport and is it easy to pick up/ drop off passengers at the airport?
Have a great time George.

Airport is an easy walk even with luggage - three maybe four minutes walk. Paved to the ferry dock, lots of beach space south of the dock.

Two or three hours from BEYC to Trellis Bay, including getting out of North Sound and grabbing a ball in Trellis Bay. Anchoring in there is tight.

A little noisy under the runway during the day but there is no traffic at night.

Easy.

Watch the reef around Bellamy Cay. Most of it is so shallow even a dinghy can't cross over. Your charter boat will probably come with a Dodge guide and the BVI Anchorages picture book so you can see where the reef is.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
After taking a mooring ball in Great Harbour, we dinghied over to White Bay and the Soggy Dollar Bar. That beach is one of the most gorgeous anywhere!
I've made that dinghy run before. It is a fun adventure. Watch the weather - if the wind backs and is strong the swell wraps around JVD and the ride home will be really unpleasant. Personally I would not take kids or newbies.

We did a mooring at BEYC, but next time will consider taking a mooring at Saba Rock instead. I heard that they offer free water top-offs to those who rent their mooring balls, and with the high cost of water there, that's a nice extra. Only thing I don't know is whether Saba Rock's mooring balls are too unprotected.
I've never had an issue with the moorings at Saba. The BEYC and Saba balls are intermixed at the boundary so make sure you get what you think you have.

Saba Rock offers up to 100 gallons of water and a bag of ice with a mooring ball. Leverick Bay at the West end of North Sound makes the same offer.

Regardless of where you do your mooring ball in Virgin Gorda, Saba Rock is definitely worth a dinghy ride for happy hour, and Fat Virgin's is worth a dinghy ride for dinner.
We usually eat dinner aboard in North Sound, although the Restaurant at Leverick sometimes draws. We like eating at the bar at Saba for lunch and sometimes at Jumbies at Leverick. When it is open we very much like the Sand Box on Prickley Pear. Most of the boats anchored off the beach there are long-term liveaboard cruisers. Last I check Anouk, the lady that sells t-shirts and jewelry from her dinghy, lived aboard there.

I believe one of the mechanics for the charter companies is stationed there too.
Yes. The Moorings has kept a mechanic there for a long time. He now services Moorings, SunSail, and Footloose boats in North Sound.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.