SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Easy as others have explained. Your guest will love it. I encourage you to get to the bay as early as you can to maximize your odds of finding an empty mooring. My rule of thumb was also before 2pm in the BVIs. As crowds build, it can get earlier and earlier. Noon should be very safe and very doable from BEYC.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I might try the baths by taxi someday. Even a mooring at BEYC, dingy in and taxi over would work. Don't need a slip to pull it off.

I've snorkeled to shore each time. It's pretty easy, as long as the seas aren't boiling and they usually aren't. However, you then have your fins, etc to drag around with you and can't easily bring a towel either.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
......We did a mooring at BEYC, but next time will consider taking a mooring at Saba Rock instead. I heard that they offer free water top-offs to those who rent their mooring balls, and with the high cost of water there, that's a nice extra. Only thing I don't know is whether Saba Rock's mooring balls are too unprotected.

Regardless of where you do your mooring ball in Virgin Gorda, Saba Rock is definitely worth a dinghy ride for happy hour, and Fat Virgin's is worth a dinghy ride for dinner.
Saba Rock is an excellent place to moor. We even anchored between their mooring field and BEYC beach once. Not sure there is enough room now. Not only can you top water (up to a limit), but you get a free bag of ice too!! There are some wind directions that might get a bit more rolly. I love Saba and have one of my fav BVI pics at their bar, with a marine VHF radio among the bar back. I believe one of the mechanics for the charter companies is stationed there too.

Fat Virgins is also good, but typical of the "made to look island" modern development in the BVI. My wife and I actually sat there having a meal and talked about some of the real island shacks we've eaten at over the years. There was one on North Andros island in the Bahamas that was just a cinder block building, with openings to enter and for windows, but no actual door or glass. No table had the same style chairs around it. They had electricity and a beer cooler. They cooked on a bbq made from cutting a 55gal drum in half. That was it. Food was great! Lobster dinner was $15 each. We drank $100 in beer. :)

The most memorable part of the story was that we borrowed bicycles to get there, about 2 miles away. When we returned after night fall, we had no flash lights, there was no moon and, of course, there were no street lights or lit buildings. And we were drunk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.