SailNet Community banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
A woman in Key West was on the Nooze last night. To paraphrase, she said "We lost everything and I work in a hotel so unless there are tourists I also lost my job and then I can't rebuild anything. Please please please come back to Key West once we get power and water we need all the tourists to come back because we have no jobs without them."

Ghouls not needed, obviously, anywhere. But I suspect the folks who depend on tourists, and who are barely able to get back in business in a threadbare way, will be extremely greatful to see ANY tourists coming in, because that's the only way to get back on their feet. All the aid funds are well and good, but they'll never close the gap without tourists coming back and helping to restore normal business.

Once the basics get restored a bit.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I had a grand time in Greece while the banks shut down, cash geenbacks only, no plastic, ATMs turned off.

Believe me the business proprietors and regular folk were overjoyed to see me, everything was 30-50% off but no one resented my 'taking advantage' just happy to get the food money.
No way I could have just donated what I spent, and I would not have stayed so long if everything was as expensive as usual.

Call me a ghoul if you like, but it was win-win AFAICT.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
The NYT is politically biased, it's not corrupt and dreaded. I've been reading it daily for 35 years. It's science and health articles are the best. It's reporting is solid, unless there is a public policy angle, to which they lean very left.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
From BVI Yacht Charters:

We know many of you are anxious for an update from BVI Yacht Charters. We thank you for your patience during what has been an extremely difficult time.

On the 6th of September 2017, hurricane Irma passed directly over the BVI. As a category 5 hurricane, she left a trail of destruction in her path. All means of communication with the islands were wiped out, and whilst they are slowly being restored, information is still very limited at this time.

First and foremost, with great relief we can confirm that all our staff and their families are safe and unharmed, including Blackie, our beloved dock dog.

We are still working to complete full assessments of all of our boats. With many areas under lock down, this is extremely difficult. As you can imagine many of our boats were damaged, but thankfully most can be repaired. As communications and road access improves we will be able to provide more specific details of our fleet.

At this point we can confirm that we will not be offering charters in October or November. The whole team is working very hard to ensure that we repair, replace and rebuild in time for Christmas. We will be back in December, stronger than ever! We would like to encourage all of our guests with charters booked in October and November to consider rescheduling their trip. We will be reaching out to all of our customers individually as soon as we can.

Our team has been absolutely overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and support we continue to receive. The best way you can help us, and the rest of the BVI, is to come and charter with us soon. We have no doubt that the bars and restaurants will be back up and running in no time, the beaches will be cleared and the water is the same beautiful color it's always been.

For the time being Abbie and Cassie will be responding to emails remotely. Access is extremely limited so please be patient while we restore systems at base. Kirstie, Anthony, Chris and Arjan are on the ground in Tortola working tirelessly, in extremely difficult conditions, to rebuild our business and the community.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we now brace ourselves for Hurricane Maria on Tuesday. We will provide another update once the storm has safely passed.

Thank you for your ongoing support.

Kind Regards

The BVI Yacht Charters Team

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
ts. ......The best way you can help us, and the rest of the BVI, is to come and charter with us soon........
Just as I would expect. Why some think it's misguided to expect to go there on vacation this winter is beyond me. They desperately need the business, the jobs and the money.

I'm still waiting to hear from CYOA and will be visiting any of the VIs charter vendors that show up in Annapolis next month.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
unless there is a public policy angle, to which they lean very left.
Politics very much depends on your POV. To an average northern European citizen, the NYT seems very conservative, economically reactionary. There Bernie Sanders is barely centrist and Hillary far right-wing.

It is not a coincidence that the standard of living of their average citizen is much higher than that of the average American.

Surprisingly they also have greater individual liberties in areas most consider important.

They do tend to be a bit more realistic about the "anyone can become a billionaire" fantasy which is almost a religion stateside.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
Politics in every thread these days. Whether one is left or right has absolutely nothing to do with anyone's POV, nor how extreme another might be. They are just catchy sound bites. Let's drop it and focus on the BVI charter ops.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Unless Maria does more damage, CYOA expects to be running from December according to an email to their owners. They are currently assessing damage to the boats it seems manageable. Needless to say, with such limited bandwidth, they are not yet communicating much but they, like others, are doing their best to be ready to help the islands get back on their feet.

My boat did not escape unscathed - this is her off her stand next to Pizza Pi, whose extra weight obviously helped.....

Seems my computer won't upload properly but if you go to Pizza Pi Facebook page you can see what I am talking about

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Unless Maria does more damage, CYOA expects to be running from December according to an email to their owners. They are currently assessing damage to the boats it seems manageable. Needless to say, with such limited bandwidth, they are not yet communicating much but they, like others, are doing their best to be ready to help the islands get back on their feet.

My boat did not escape unscathed - this is her off her stand next to Pizza Pi, whose extra weight obviously helped.....

Seems my computer won't upload properly but if you go to Pizza Pi Facebook page you can see what I am talking about
Man that sucks Tele - I'm sorry about your boat. She's beautiful...

Have you gotten a damage report yet?

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
Telesail, that looks brutal, but the encouraging reports on recovery are good to hear. All the best on repairs.

Coincidentally, I've been curious about Pizza Pi, although, I did know they are always on the hard during hurricane season. Just one more local business that needs people to come down on vacation, or they will go under.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Adjusters were due in the islands at the weekend but have not heard anything - I imagine all hatches are being battened for the coming storm so probably not reasonable to expect to hear until Maria passes.

Friends in the islands are still reeling from Irma but doing an amazing job of pulling through as best I can tell. I cannot understand why people would be reluctant to go back the VI once the bases are operational and there are at least a few boats. They are going to need us there and I guarantee that many of the regular haunts will have jury rigged something - and we may not see so much space in anchorages again in our life times.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
We're going to Antigua as first landfall. Then head south. But by February or March will go back up the chain spending time in St. Barth, Martin and the three Virgins. Will probably leave from BVIs for home end of May.
Think this will be a common plan for many cruisers. Harbors and airports may be open but concern remains for rest of infrastructure. Navigation maybe a sight more difficult with debris in the water ( sunken boats, parts of buildings etc.). So some will want them to have some time to sort themselves out before cruisers return.
We're not out of hurricane season yet. So above is tentative as further damage may come to pass.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Adjusters were due in the islands at the weekend but have not heard anything - I imagine all hatches are being battened for the coming storm so probably not reasonable to expect to hear until Maria passes.

Friends in the islands are still reeling from Irma but doing an amazing job of pulling through as best I can tell. I cannot understand why people would be reluctant to go back the VI once the bases are operational and there are at least a few boats. They are going to need us there and I guarantee that many of the regular haunts will have jury rigged something - and we may not see so much space in anchorages again in our life times.
Adjuster has been trying to get down, gets cancelled, rebooked, cancelled again. His apartment is over in Compass.
I'll bet you can pick your boat out from here: https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

Keep zooming in on the Virgin Islands and the satellite photos will make themselves apparent. A couple of days ago.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
It was great to see the folks from CYOA Yacht Charters at the Annapolis show. They say they have their first charter going out in a few weeks!

However, they walked through their fleet and much of it's condition is still being assessed. What hadn't occurred to me is how much of the fleet wasn't even in the BVIs at the time. Some are taken north for off season charters, some are taken south for what seemed to either be storage or maybe owner usage.

We talked a bit about infrastructure. Naturally, the cruising grounds have been devastated, but the expectation is that the beach joints will lay a door across two saw houses and start serving cold beer asap. Sort of how Foxy's started in the first place. I like it!

My query was then about power and water. Apparently, there are huge generators towed into the middle of the neighborhood and everyone pays to hook up at various times of the day. They are able to desalinate water and charge up the fleet this way. The follow on question was how a bareboat would find water during their cruise. That seems to remain an issue. Uniquely, many of CYOA's fleet have watermakers, albeit, most are catamarans. They have one mono with a water maker, but they are still assessing its status.

They also said they are not really getting cancelations. Obviously, they have to renege , if the boat isn't available, but they've had more folks just switch to another hull or switch weeks to make it work.

They are asking people to come down with their business to help them recover! I would like to, but my wife is reluctant. Playing it a bit by ear.

I saw Bitter End Yacht Club's booth, with a lonely guy in it. I wish I had stopped, but I was on my way somewhere. I was talking to a few others who are well,tied in to the USVI/BVI and question whether or not BEYC will rebuild at all. Rumor was there was little to no insurance, because it's cost prohibitive. Just a rumor, however. Hard to imagine, it nearly an original institution.

One of my other favs places is Napa Valley. WTF is going on here?

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Think land based stuff is the big issue. Most beach bars, soggy dollar and Foxys included, can be rebuilt in a day or two. But real infrastructure will take longer. May actually improve experience as paucity of motor cats and folks looking for a week of being constantly drunk, obnoxious and partying with loud music blasting should decrease. Other benefit is cruiseship crowd will stay on the boat or close to it until the roads are spiffed up.
We plan to go to Antigua and head toward Granada until March. Then turn around and enjoy the 3 virgins until about June first. By then figure although the flora may not have recovered the infrastructure should be functional.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Wow. I remember going to Bitter End years ago and going to the Sunday Brunch with wife and kid. After we came through the line, the bill was $250.00 without any gratuity. Pretty spread, but not $250.00 for three people. Don't feel sorry for them. They've been raking it in for a long, long time. The photos I saw of the Bitter End, though . . . it's gone.

And the flora is already coming back with a vengeance. Amazing. Go look at News of St. John - An Online Blog About the Daily Happenings of St. John, USVI After Hugo, all the green parrots disappeared from St. Croix and, to my knowledge, nobody's seen one since. Not that I miss 15 parrots sitting in the flamboyant outside the bedroom window on St. Thomas at 4:00 in the morning screaming. But they are neat birds. There was an effort on Puerto Rico to bring back one subspecies. I wonder how far that got knocked back.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts