SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
thinking of this...
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time Lapse Sailing Passage - BVI

The concept here is a time lapse sailing passage from Great Harbour on Jost to The Bight on Norman with a brief stop at the Indians. The focus is a day in the life of a charterer in the Caribbean. For those who have been to the BVI, you'll recognize the route through Thatch Is. Cut, past Sopers and into Sir Francis Drake. The wind was 25-30 on the nose and we're on vacation so all motoring here. Plenty of sailing on other legs of this charter. If you do watch, change the settings to HD if you have the bandwith - it's much better in high def. Comments welcome.

Time Lapse segments filmed with a GoPro Hero3 Black. Interval was one photo every 2 seconds. Images processed into video in QuickTime Pro. Other video/music editing later including an attempt at de-shaking - good results were a little difficult due to 4-6 foot seas.
I'm a lifelong sailor and an amateur photographer. Just loving the technology that allows me to play around with this and learn more.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,666 Posts
'Love the guy towing the dink who shows up at 0:32. First he overtakes you on starboard as you are pulling into a harbor, then he pulls a U turn across your bow and heads off screen aft to port.

·
thinking of this...
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time lapse sailing? Was the mainsail set? Looked more like time lapse motoring to me, but whatever. Nice video either way.
Agreed, all motoring that day. :)
Didn't want to put that in the title though. Artistic license?

'Love the guy towing the dink who shows up at 0:32. First he overtakes you on starboard as you are pulling into a harbor, then he pulls a U turn across your bow and heads off screen aft to port.
He was actually headed for a mooring in front of us. We had stopped briefly at a mooring at The Indians. Took him a few tries but eventually he got it.

·
Registered
25,104 Posts
We sailed that exact route last Feb, thanks for the memory. (but, we did sail :) ) In fact, we were passed by our own Zanchin as we were sailing into the cut at Thatch. He had actually yelled over that he was cheating, while motor sailing, but we didn't have time in the crowded passage to stop and acknowledge our SN connection. We traded a few PM later. By the way, he wasn't cheating, he single hands a 57ft boat! It was a place where an immediate tack could have been necessary.

We had a bit of tacking to do, but had all day to do it. It was one of the nicest sailing days we had on that cruise. No where to go and all day to get there! I think we were originally going to Soper's Hole, but just felt like sailing more, so kept on going. No trip this winter and regretting that decision already.

Reactions: JSL3

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Couple of impressions.

1. Man, there are a lot of boats down there.

2. I've got to get a Go-Pro or something. My two 15 year old nephews are always filming and posting something like that (they live in Alaska have the year and Florida the other half, and don't even know what a video game is). They are outdoors boating, biking, hiking and filming it with those things all of the time.

·
thinking of this...
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Loved it. Great work.

What's the boat?
This is the boat we were on: Moorings 4800.

Very nice platform for a vacation. Not the best for the sailing experience but man does it have a ton of room.

Having done a number of different cats in the Caribbean over the years, my preference are the Lagoons. Generally I like the layout and sailing characteristics. Here's the best of the bunch: Lagoon 450 The helm station on the flybridge is awesome with great views and room for 5-6 people. Most cat helms have seats big enough for only 2.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I hadn't realized until I saw your video that Pirate's reopened in November. Burnt to the ground Oct. 1, and had a temporary facility in less than 6 weeks. I guess you can cut through the bureaucracy when you own the whole island!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Wow! Those are some sweet rides.

I'm sure there's a cat in my future.
It's going to be nice when all of those cats start hitting the used markets, and more affordable.

I have to admit, they do have a lot going for them for Caribbean cruising.

·
thinking of this...
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hadn't realized until I saw your video that Pirate's reopened in November. Burnt to the ground Oct. 1, and had a temporary facility in less than 6 weeks. I guess you can cut through the bureaucracy when you own the whole island!
I know. We were quite impressed with the structure already built and the massive additional structure under construction. In early Feb (not the busiest time for the BVI) we were the last reservation they accepted for that's night dinner and we asked for the reservation at about 2PM. The food was quite good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.