SailNet Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Fair enough.

I'm not trying to suggest we're out of this thing. I'm trying to say it's encouraging that infection rates, hospitalizations and deaths are declining so rapidly that the subject of this thread (cruising in the islands) should begin to loosen up soon. This guy is a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health. I think his points are quite plausible. Virus gone..... not so much. Herd immunity is not the same thing as eradication.
Marty Makary is a surgeon, with an outstanding reputation and, accordingly, he has a primary appointment in the School of Medicine. He also has a joint (=secondary) appointment in the Bloomberg School of Public Health. To my knowledge he teaches public health but not epidemiology. His work on the use of checklists has probably saved thousands of lives.

In no way do I want to say he is not qualified to make the statements he made. I just wanted to differentiate between statements made by one person, and official proclamations made in the name of Johns Hopkins University. If this turns out not to be quite right, people should not say 'Hopkins was wrong' but 'Makary was wrong.'

Of course I hope Makary is right :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not much to add, but I also used BVI Yacht Charters a bit after Irma, and they were great. The boat was in great shape (unsurprising given that basically the entire fleet was new), and the level of service we got was tom notch; much better than a previous charter with The Moorings.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not much to add, but I also used BVI Yacht Charters a bit after Irma, and they were great. The boat was in great shape (unsurprising given that basically the entire fleet was new), and the level of service we got was tom notch; much better than a previous charter with The Moorings.
Identical to my experience.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts