SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to ask again, but I think I need your advice.
Apparently, one of my heavy old bronze seacock (cone shaped, 1 1/2") is "bypassed" as I can't drain it (when I unscrew the drain plug the water does not stop).

When I greased the cone last summer I realized some slight corrosion. And since it was perfectly dry I thought it might work another year. Well, it doesn't. I will replace it with a Blakes (??) as soon as the boat goes out in May.
I don't feel like going for a dive now and plug the thru hull from the outside. At least not yet. Well, I don't think I will feel like it if the water temp drops below 1°C but the pressure will be high enough to make me jump, then.

My set of questions:

1) Closing the seacock with the water trapped in the cone seems to me even more dangerous than leaving it open so the (freezing and thus expanding) water can move up.

2) Does anyone know a trick to cope with it?

3) What about Blakes seacocks? Not the cheapest choice but they look solid and easy to maintain. Does anyone know a better one?

Thanks mates,
Luis

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
could you pull the cone, in the water pack some plumbers epoxy on the cone then put it back in. yes this would glue it shut perminately, but it would stop the leak. you have to change it anyway, the only real question is how much water would come doing this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, Scottyt. I've been thinking in the same direction - I thought about using some sealant. But I have to be really quick then.
(As I can't simply put my hand on a hole there. Too bad I didn't prepare a tight fit wooden plug for the seacock when she was hauled. Don't think the one that hangs there fits by chance).

Luis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts