SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking Into Purchasing A 2006, Any Input Out There On Performance Around The Buoys And Characteristics For Coastal Cruising?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Be aware there may be some issues with the company unrelated to the boat. Also, there have been some reports of issues with the epoxy resin hulls from the company. The company is currently under some serious financial trouble, and purchasing a boat built by them, which is supposed to have a 15 year warranty, may not come with the warranty support you're expecting.

If the boat is a polyester/vinylester resin hull... there shouldn't be any real issues with it... but if it is an epoxy resin hull... there may be some serious issues that may be behind why it is being sold. YMMV. Get a good survey in either case.

Also, highly recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips Thread. :)

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Other than the company issues that SD talks about.............

Having sailed in the Seattle NOOD's aboard a friends 115, it does perform reasonably well. It does take good team work to perform to its ratings. It is not a true planer like a J105/109. They have lower ratings locally, and may times boat to boat will beat a C&C. There is one on the east coast that is doing reasonably well tho, and one locally that does well too.

The friends of mine that I crewed on, do luv there boat for cruising etc, along with the occasional race. They are not what I would call hard core racers, but folks that like to bash some bouy's along with cruising and enjoying their boat.

I would also guess that you are looking at a used one being as it is a 2006. While i personally would luv to own a 115, not sure that I would if a warrenty is wanted in your plans, as the base company has tried to sell with out transfering the warrenty. So you may be or should plan on being your own warrenty person for the hull. The other stuff, that was bought and put into the boat, still will have manufactures warrenties.

Generally speaking, they are nice boats, and the folks I know with them, like them.

marty

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had heard that they are very good boats but a bit hard to sail to their rating. But that is second hand as I have never even been on one. If you are planning on doing a lot of PHRF racing on it I would ask the same question on sailinganarchy.com, which has more of a racing slant on things. But don't expect the good manners that you will (mostly) find here.;)

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Cb is saying what I was attempting to say, altho not sure how well, locally the 115s are in the low 70s, J105/109 in the 80's to low 90's, and clobber the local 115's on actual and handicap time for the most part. so they are a bit hard to race to rating.

Nice boats, solid feel in winds into the 30's. Sails well with a reefed main alone. Hit into the low 8's one night coming home from a race where the wind picked up. Have hit into the 9's with a spin up.

i would personally put them into the slower end of the Race/cruiser spectrum, definetly on the fast end of the cruise/race spectrum of boats.

marty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts