SailNet Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: C&C 25 - opinions?

This is a wonderful boat. Ive owned my 76 C&C 25 mk1 since August last year and Ive been thrilled with her. Very easy to sail - fast stiff and dry. However, like any boat from the 70's ive had to put in a ton of work. I have the vire 7 inboard, and i completely rebuilt her which took me about a month. I decided to leave her in the boat for the rebuild which was a huge pain, as engine access is the biggest issue with this boat!

Ive also done other minor things like redoing the plumbing, replacing the gally faucet/pump, replacing the icebox pump etc etc... Definitely buy this boat if you didnt back in 2002 when you started this thread!

·
Registered
48 Posts

Think these vessels might go good for single-handing w/code 6 fat head main and 140ish deck sweep genoa?
Whomping big asso on sprit of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts

well lets jump 5 years. I'm looking to buy a 74 C&C 25. It looks to be in fair shape but I'm prepared to do some work if not too extensive. Have a real desire to sail from Seattle to Homer AK but have limited experience and will probably be single handing it. With my limited experience the C&C 25 looks to be a fair candidate for the cruise of course with some up grades. Anyone got a comment?

·
Freedom isn't free
2,946 Posts

I wanna do the Tour de France, but I am overweight, haven't ridden a bike in years, and have a mountain bike I bought at Walmart.

Answer, yes I could do it.
Nobody would watch.
Likelihood is I'd fail miserably.

With work on all my points, I could probably do it, but I'm certainly not going to win it.

How dedicated are you to getting it done? You'll likely need to spend 3-5 times what you spent on the boat to make it "worthy" of the trip.

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts

well lets jump 5 years. I'm looking to buy a 74 C&C 25. It looks to be in fair shape but I'm prepared to do some work if not too extensive. Have a real desire to sail from Seattle to Homer AK but have limited experience and will probably be single handing it. With my limited experience the C&C 25 looks to be a fair candidate for the cruise of course with some up grades. Anyone got a comment?
The inside passage goes up to about Skagway or Juneau. People do the inside passage in all manner of boats. I think it has a lot to do with timing the tides.

Once you leave the inside passage, I think it is pretty exposed. C&C 25 wouldn't be my top pick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: An excellent choice

Hello,
I just bought a 1985 C&C 25’ sailboat. I am looking for a reliable owner’s manual to familiarize myself with the boat. Any suggestions?
Newsailer42

·
11,797 Posts
Re: An excellent choice

Hello,
I just bought a 1985 C&C 25’ sailboat. I am looking for a reliable owner’s manual to familiarize myself with the boat. Any suggestions?
Newsailer42

Congratulations
Welcome to the C&C Club
It’s exclusive
You’ll like you new 25

The site below you should join. It’s all the C& C owners
They sell the manuals too
Also there are projects for all the various sizes

C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

·
Registered
48 Posts

Once you leave the inside passage, I think it is pretty exposed. C&C 25 wouldn't be my top pick.

Buddy in my club sailed to Haida Quai in a Newport 27. They didn't dink around up the inside passage. Port Hardy to Rose Harbour direct.

C&C 25 just fine. ffs Rimas drifted to Alaska in a SJ24!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why let a good thread die? I have been sailing my Mark I C&C 25 since 2008. Currently replacing the original roller furler and down sizing the outboard. I removed the inboard on mine, glassed it up and then reinforced the stern and hung a 9.8 Tohatsu electric start outboard. That was a smart play - I am trading in my 9.8 outboard 4 stroke (12 years old now) for a me 8 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke - maybe 20 pounds lighter (I am not getting younger) - and I found that even with a large prop, the 9.8 wasted power cavitation and added zero speed so I figure the two cylinder 8 to be about right. My C&C 25 is forgiving, Strong and sea kindly. My cockpit floor was jelly - my choice was to tear it open and insert new core and then reglass or just run a 2 by for underneath to give it support. I chose the latter method which may upset a purist but has worked very well. Just some general info for whomever picks up this thread next.... :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts