SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find the specs for replacing my standing rigging? I'm in VA and my little boat is in FL. Apparently, there were a few slightly different versions of the C&C 25 and I'm not sure which one mine is. Mine was built in 1972. The mast is 30' 2" long. Does anyone know if there are any variations in the standing rigging specs for the different versions? I believe the rigging is the original and it's about time for replacement...
thanks

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have a J24 and with 5000+ built there is still no such thing as a STANDARD lenth :) in fact my mast was built with the wrong size pin in the headstay and backstay which the rigger pointed out and was corrected

As a result IF you want a trouble free job the rigger will copy your old parts and advise to anything that can be inproved on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses. I agree and would only replace the rigging using the old stuff as a template. I'm trying to get an idea of the potential cost and for that I would need the specs. I've owned the boat for the last 25 years (my little boat spent one of those years in Chesapeake Beach), and I haven't done anything to the standing rigging. I'm fairly certain that the former owner didn't modify anything either. I looked at the C&C site and it looks like the only information available would be to buy the owner's manual. But does the manual contain the rigging specs? It's not clear from the site info. I emailed C&C a week ago and have yet to receive a response.Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks-
That's very helpful. I would guess my stays are 3/16ths also, but I'm not certain. My mast is 30' 2" - that's probably close to a J24's mast, right? Also, that was through a rigger and not done yourself, right?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I have a J24 and with 5000+ built there is still no such thing as a STANDARD lenth :) in fact my mast was built with the wrong size pin in the headstay and backstay which the rigger pointed out and was corrected

As a result IF you want a trouble free job the rigger will copy your old parts and advise to anything that can be inproved on

tommays has it exactly right. You really wouldn't be well advised to have a rig built from any "standard" specs.
Wait until you have a chance to either measure or better yet, remove it and have it duplicated.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I know it'a bigger boat, but hopefully this will give you some reference: I paid an internet vendor roughly $850 to fabricate new rigging for my Catlaina 30. It has a 40' mast and uses 1/4" and 5/16"wire with 8 turnbuckles. I put it up myself with the help of my marina's yard crane. I then had the thing checked by a local rigger to make sure I hadn't screwed anything up. Total cost for all, $1,250. Quotes from riggers all came in at $2,500 to $3,000. Definitely pattern from the old rigging, but take into consideration where the turnbuckles are set. If the old wires have stretched, and you make the new wires to match, you'll quickly run out of adjusting room as the new wire sets in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I'm seriously considering doing the job myself. I have a rigger that has offered to help me out and check my work. Anybody have any tips or advice? I'm planning on using Sta-locks.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Get Hayn HiMods instead. They're less expensive last time I checked and are easier to use and don't require a sacrificial bit to be replaced everytime you disassemble them. :)

If you're looking to do this as economically as possible, I'd recommend going with swaged fittings at the top end of the rigging and mechanical fittings at the bottom end. The top end fittings don't deal with the spray and salt that the lower fittings generally see, and as such, the swages will last longer up there than they would down by the deck. The swaged fittings are generally a good deal less expensive than the mechanical fittings, and lighter as well—reducing your costs and weight aloft. :)

Thanks for the responses. I'm seriously considering doing the job myself. I have a rigger that has offered to help me out and check my work. Anybody have any tips or advice? I'm planning on using Sta-locks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an original manual for my C&C25, and yes, it includes detailed rigging diagrams suitable for making new standing rigging. But I would agree with the previous posts...things stretch, get changed over time, decks sink a bit then get built up again...best to measure...twice. BTW, I'm still using the original rigging...carefully inspected and no trouble at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts