SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-
There is a small metal "collar" clamped onto the shroud at the spreader level. The collar does not slide on the shroud at all-it stays in place. My question is do I place this collar on the top side of the spreader end or under the bottom end? It will fit in either place.

Thanks.
Tangent85

·
Registered
431 Posts
If I had a decent pic of mine I would post it. There is a white collar that is round in shape about one inch below each spreader. I do not know if it is metal. This is my first sailboat, so I do not know if it is where it is supposed to be.
So how long have you had your C&C?
Where do you sail?
Welcome to Sailnet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi FirstCandC-
Thanks to Itgoshen who sent me to a C & C site, I found out the "collars" are actually stoppers for the spreader arms. If the shrouds are not properly tensioned, under sail the lee shroud may become slack enough for the spreader to droop down below it's correct position. The stopper prevents this. I've had 4 sailboats over 40 years and none of them had these stoppers. So I learned something today.
To answer your questions: I sail on Lake Erie and have become the "crew chief" on a C & C 27 used mostly for racing.
Thanks for your reply and also for your welcoming me to Sailnet.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Welcome, there should also be a rubber tube in the actual "cup" where the spreader meets the mast, this should be a nice tight fit to prevent movement. They wear out over time and the spreader becomes floppy. I have some rubber tubing to replace mine but it's a job that needs the mast down, or a crane so I wasn't able to do it whilst up the mast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello PaulinVictoria-
Thanks for the response.
I know about the rubber tube in the spreader cup you mentioned. It must have already worn down some because the previous owner had put some tape around the black rubber. The two screws(bolts) that hold the base of the spreader in that cup are slightly bent and it makes it harder to thread the screw thru the cup-tape-rubber-cup end. After lift out in October I plan on getting some new straight screws.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
Mine just uses a big split pin rather than a bolt, just as secure and it's really just there to stop the spreader falling out if the spreader is really unloaded. Most of the time the shroud is pushing the spreader into the cup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would have to drill a larger hole to accommodate a large cotter pin. I think once I get straight bolts, they should work fine.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts