SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of an issue with these boats involving cracking on the deck near the stanchions? apparently an easy fix? boat is very nicely priced but owner mentioned it needs these cracks fixed. can sail without fixing apparently.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Mk I, II, III, IV or V?

I'm not an expert on all things C&C, but they seem to have used a slotted aluminum toe rail on nearly all of their boats. The lifeline stanchions are attached to the toe rail.

If the deck has been stressed in these areas, I can't imagine that it would be very difficult to do some local re-coring of the deck to fix this. Tedious, irritating, yes. It's kind of hard to judge how bad this is without photos.

C&C's are a higher quality build, a step up from my Pearson. Most of them sail well. I would look for bigger deal-breakers like a dead engine, failing standing rigging, or major deck delamination. I wouldn't let a few deck cracks scare me away if the boat was healthy in other respects.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe this one to be a MKII as it is a '73. I haven't seen it in person yet. going by current owner's description. He mentioned the cracks were not "structural as there are chainplates down to the bulkheads holding the rigging.

sounds like everything else on her is up to par and in good shape.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Based on the photo that FirstC&C provided, even though the boats have slotted toerails, some models used stanchion bases that bolt through the deck.

My solution would be to shift to stanchions that bolt through the toe rail like later model C&C's, and then fix the deck. You'll never worry about stanchion bases tearing up the deck again.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for responses guyss. Hoping to go see her in person this weekend or early next week. I'll let you knwo what comes of it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep that is the fun of looking this time. I would like to get something bigger with a full keel etc, but if it doesn't happen .....no biggie, just keep sailing the O'Day

thanks for the link.

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
No biggie, I reckon more damage occurs through owners retrofitting job tracks etc improperly. Good boat, I have one from the same year.
Well, different year, same model likely.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
We have the toe rail stanchion holders on our C&C 35 MKIII. They are great in that there is no stress on the gelcoat.

However they are rather outboard so when docking watch out getting them caught on high pilings and bending them

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts