SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have severe 2 foot itis right now. I've moved to a larger lake, and the option of a travel lift, and a crane as well as deep enough water to support larger sized sailboats has me looking towards something bigger.

Unlike a lot of folks, I don't have any misconceptions that I'll instantly get a bunch more folks sailing with me, I just want something bigger with more "big boat" handling. I also hate to go slow, which is why all my boats have had a decent turn of speed (Capri 22, Capri 25, S2 7.9 and now my Wavelength 24). So I'd like something with style, and decent speed for its size (doesn't need to a J in speed, just not a slug).

Our marina is also a broker, and they have several boats for sale I may be able to afford should the stars align (we sell our horse trailer, and I sell my boat - we've done both before and I don't anticipate a problem with either). Anyway, there is a nice 1983 C&C 32 in the marina, as well an older Catalina (1980) 30 tall rig. There are 2 other boats that I might consider as well, one is a 1989 Hunter 30 and an older 1984 Hunter 31. Of the boats I've nearly listed them in order of my preference, but the C&C to me seems the one that pushes my buttons the most.

I've viewed the C&C on the outside so far, and noted these things... It has a recent roller furler (probably last 4 years), a nearly new horse blanket for the main, and the main itself looks newish (maybe it was refurbed, but it seems clean and crisp and might have come with the North Sails horse blanket - 2013 maybe?). Looks like the running rigging is newer, and the standing rigging looks clean.

I could go on about the other boats for sale and their plusses and minuses but I want to see this boat below and hear the engine run. A couple club members mentioned they know the owner, and he's sailed the boat frequently.

What I want to know is has anyone sailed this model C&C and what are its faults/strengths?

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
No direct experience either. Do like that the 32 has a solid glass hull, so no potential issues with a cored hull that some of the larger C&Cs of similar vintage could have. PHRF base rating in 171 which is not particularly fast for a 32 footer. For example, my 1985 Cal 33 has a base rating of 132.

·
11,755 Posts
I’ve sailed on a friends 32 quite frequently. They are nimble and tight sailing. Not quite as stiff as the balsa cored boats but certainly very responsive. For your purposes they are a step up from the others on your list.

The 32 won’t be a Cal ( quick boats) but won’t be a slug either. The added length and weigh will give you a different feel than what you currently sail.

It’s all about the condition it’s in.

For spec, pictures and issues check the C&C owners site
C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

·
Freedom isn't free
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chef, if money were no object I'd love a Cal 33. There was a super nice one for sale close by, but the hauling/shipping even the short 2-3 hour difference would have been over the top what I can spend.

The C&C 32 seems more like a 31, whereas the Cal 33 is more of a 34 as I recall.

with a speed similar to the Catalina 320 which as I understand it, is a pretty good handicap racer... I thought it wouldn't be to slow. Not sure where you saw that rating Jim, maybe PHRF NE is off?
CATALINA 320 153
C+C 32 159

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
with a speed similar to the Catalina 320 which as I understand it, is a pretty good handicap racer... I thought it wouldn't be to slow. Not sure where you saw that rating Jim, maybe PHRF NE is off?
CATALINA 320 153
C+C 32 159
Numbers I quoted were from the Western Long Island Sound database. Every region assigns their own numbers and there is variation. But checking a few others, about 170 seems to be pretty typical. But don't get hung up on the number. It doesn't tell the whole story. I am sure the C&C 32 is a sweet sailing boat.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I looked at a few of these boats before I ended up with my Mirage 33. I actually had offers in on 2 of them pending a clean inspection. On both those failed offers I found substantial structural damage to the floors underneath the cabin sole. They are solid good sailing boats from everything I know of, however they will show any major collision down below the sole. If you do consider one make sure to see if the owner will allow you to lift the sole boards on the stbd side and center line. That's where I found the majority of the damage. On one I visited the owner had a crazy story about being under sail at 6kts and slamming into a rock reef while reading a book. He swore it wasn't the 32 I was coming to see though....yet the floors were smashed when I looked at it which was either from sailing into a rock reef at 6kts or being dropped from a crane.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim, I get you, looks like I am seeing "Cruising configuration" numbers. Cause my S2 7.9 rates PHRF 177 if you use those numbers, and that was no slow boat.

Guy, thanks for the tip, I'll look.
At the prices I am looking at, I'll probably be doing my own inspection.

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
Jim, I get you, looks like I am seeing "Cruising configuration" numbers. Cause my S2 7.9 rates PHRF 177 if you use those numbers, and that was no slow boat.

Guy, thanks for the tip, I'll look.
At the prices I am looking at, I'll probably be doing my own inspection.
Doing your own inspection ?
This may help
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think you may be disappointed in the 32 after owning a 7.9. While I do agree that it would be the best choice of the other boats mentioned I don't think the 32 was one of C&C's better designs. To be comparable to the 7.9 in a 32-35' boat you would need a phrf base below 150 at the very least and more like 140. You'll definitely want to sail one a couple of times before you make your decision. If performance is not that much of a concern (Liar Liar Pants on Fire Nose as long as a Telephone Wire) ( I say this because it's easy to say one doesn't care about performance until some whippersnapper starts to overtake you when you're out cruising ) God Forbid it should be a well sailed Catalina 30T. that would be just downright disgusting.

·
11,755 Posts

·
11,755 Posts
Our Haleakula is registered under the 35MKIII k/c.

I also have joined the e mail blog on the site. It has great tips for upgrades as well as repairs to existing features.

Congrats again.

Reactions: SHNOOL

·
Freedom isn't free
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Took the new ride out on Saturday. I moved the boat last weekend from Union Hall to Huddleston VA to get closer to my house. It is now 30 minutes drive (give or take) from my house instead of 1:10 minutes.

Wife and I took the boat out at 11am, and didn't arrive back at dock until about 4:30pm. We worked to remove the canvas from the bimini and dodger

When we started out winds were 6-8 knots, by the time we got back we were seeing whitecaps on the water, and getting a pretty good groove on.

Its a lot more boat than I am used to sailing, but it has a lot of potential. Lots of sail controls to fix and some minor tweaks to performance.

Its going to take me a while to get used to backing into my slip with this boat. It doesn't back well. I suspect it may have a folding prop which might be contributing to that.

Oh and I removed the dodger (no eisenglass) and after this trip we removed all the canvas, and we winterized the whole boat (for sitting in the water). I plan on sailing the boat still, but will re-winterize the boat after each trip.

Boat needs the backstay adjuster fixed. The vang upgraded to 8:1 and run back to the cabin (you can see the spare spinlock that was for it). The mini hatches need replaced (they leak).

Overall I like how it sails and think its got a nice Yanmar diesel (2 cyl). Ran the diesel about 45 minutes when we started (and I left it on bat1). Sailed with only Knot/depth/VHF and fridge running for 5 hours. When I attempted to start the engine, it barely turned over, and did not start. I was a little put aback by this, until I recalled that I had switched to single battery. I switched to "ALL" and it fired right up, but it was a couple minutes of "oh crap now what." Was working up to the idea of sailing into my slip (which would be entertaining at the VERY least). Note to self the batteries are likely shot.

Regardless it was a great sail. As you can see from Navionics, we covered some water.

Attachments

·
WhatTheKell
16 Posts
Congrats on your new boat. She looks sweet and I liked the way the rig was set up. There was a 36 for sale at my home marina, the wife loved it, and I liked the quality of the build. I thought the salon and cockpit were more "party boat" than sailboat though. C&C 32 will be on my short-list when I'm looking for my next boat for sure.

·
WhatTheKell
16 Posts
Couple quick questions I forgot to ask. What lake are you on? (couldn't quite make it out on the screenshot) And if you don't mind, what did the boat set you back? The C&C 36 I referenced went for 22K.

·
11,755 Posts
Took the new ride out on Saturday. I moved the boat last weekend from Union Hall to Huddleston VA to get closer to my house. It is now 30 minutes drive (give or take) from my house instead of 1:10 minutes.

Wife and I took the boat out at 11am, and didn't arrive back at dock until about 4:30pm. We worked to remove the canvas from the bimini and dodger

When we started out winds were 6-8 knots, by the time we got back we were seeing whitecaps on the water, and getting a pretty good groove on.

Its a lot more boat than I am used to sailing, but it has a lot of potential. Lots of sail controls to fix and some minor tweaks to performance.

Its going to take me a while to get used to backing into my slip with this boat. It doesn't back well. I suspect it may have a folding prop which might be contributing to that.

Fall sailing 10/26/2019 - YouTube

Oh and I removed the dodger (no eisenglass) and after this trip we removed all the canvas, and we winterized the whole boat (for sitting in the water). I plan on sailing the boat still, but will re-winterize the boat after each trip.

Boat needs the backstay adjuster fixed. The vang upgraded to 8:1 and run back to the cabin (you can see the spare spinlock that was for it). The mini hatches need replaced (they leak).

Overall I like how it sails and think its got a nice Yanmar diesel (2 cyl). Ran the diesel about 45 minutes when we started (and I left it on bat1). Sailed with only Knot/depth/VHF and fridge running for 5 hours. When I attempted to start the engine, it barely turned over, and did not start. I was a little put aback by this, until I recalled that I had switched to single battery. I switched to "ALL" and it fired right up, but it was a couple minutes of "oh crap now what." Was working up to the idea of sailing into my slip (which would be entertaining at the VERY least). Note to self the batteries are likely shot.

Regardless it was a great sail. As you can see from Navionics, we covered some water.
Congrats again....glad you got her out
Dodger is really a Bimini. Needs the tw side and glass in front
That can be remedied with 3 zip in panels...two side ...and glass ( use strata glass vs eisenglass)

You will really enjoy her tight handling.
Also C&C like to be reefed early (18 knots) to stay on their feet

·
Freedom isn't free
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've seen dodger and spray hood used interchangeably. I zipped off the front panel (which is solid), and wraps around the "Front bimini."

Panels zip off of the forward section and between the forward spray hood/bimini and aft bimini.

Honestly think its overkill on our lake, although I can see the want for it in the hottest days of summer, otherwise its overkill for the lake.

Yes I can see that is overpowers quickly. 18 knots true is a significant amount of wind for a 150 and full main so that makes sense.

Attachments

·
Freedom isn't free
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so I've stripped the boat of all bimini's (for winter).
We went for a nice long motor today, because there was less than 5 knots of wind. New marina has powered slips but 1 dock. I plan on running power down the dock (he allows that) to just charge the batteries, but haven't gotten to it yet. So for now my plan is to come to the boat weekly and fire up the motor, run it for at least 30 minutes, today it was more like 3 hours at 2000+ rpm most the way.

Anyway, while motoring all over it gives me way to much time to look at rigging. Noticed someone moved the boom up (like a foot), which of course means someone likely trimmed the mainsail down. I have another mainsail which is in great shape but now I am worried it too might be trimmed down to fit the new boom position.

I want to be getting the boat back into its original configuration, so that I can improve sailing characteristics. I'll likely be removing the forward bimini, but I must admit I like the one over the skipper station.

Lots to do, ordered a boomkicker, which I can almost guarantee won't reach the new boom height, might be able to fudge it, I'll have to see.

I also want to rig up something so I can control the traveler from the aft position. I know I won't be able to do anything about the mainsheet, but if I can route the traveler controls aft, then I'll be well on my way towards rigging for better single handing.

I ordered a new lewmar ocean 20 hatch for the one over the salon that is leaking. Right now its tarp city (and the tarp is dying). If the hatch works and fits well, I'll replace the other on the boat.

Motored all over the lake today, no real wind, but it was great exercise for the Yammie.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts