SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1981 C&C 34 has a propane locker at the starboard quarter of the boat (next to the helm seat) with a hinged lid. The port side has an identical lid but it does not open and I am thinking of utilizing that space for additional storage (e.g. fenders). I am not sure if it is glued down with 5200 or is fibre-glassed in place. Has anyone opened this up?

Thanks

·
11,750 Posts
On my 35mKIII built in 1983 both the port and starboard lockers open and are enclosed both having drain holes to the outside above the water level to allow both lockers to be used for storage or vented for propane storage.

I don’t know exactly how yours is designed but if you go dow you large lazzarette ( which in outr boat is huge and also has a removable panel ( to access the side of the Yanmar , the fuel tanks, the transmission and the shaft connections ) you can look to the stern and see if there is a walled in locker for the two stern positions. If so you can decide whether to use it for additional space.

Both of our lockers have piano hinges. We have two propane tanks. 1 dedicated with an adaptor for the Magma Grill so we don’t carry 1 lb bombs and have a long reliable gas source for the grill which we use a lot. The other locker is the dedicated on for the oven stove with appropriate solenoid.

Usually one 11 lb tank is enough for our season but should it run out we always have a backup on the other side.
You could do that or use it for storage. We take our tanks home every yeR at the end of the season and run them out on the home propane grill and start each season with full tanks. ( they are usually only 1/4 full) . We also have a 5 hp propane Tahatsu dinghy outboard so it could be another reserve, though the dinghy has a dedicated fiberglass 11 lb propane tank which gives use 20 hrs run time at least. You can see it’s level through the container and it’s very lightweight. Unfortunately they don’t have the correct size for the onboard lockers shPes.

Feel free to PM me. C&C all sizes are brothers 😃😃😃😃

Reactions: SHNOOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our 1981 C&C40 has one stern locker in each corner. The propane tank is stud. Opening the port side shows inside the hull. I open it to get more light when crawling under the cockpit but have often thought of building another propane locker on that side. Don't know about your 34 but it seems both sides should open.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts