SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C&C 34+ 37+ 34/36 Where are they?

Ummmm....during the late 80''s & 90s, I saw a lot of C&Cs with these designations at boat shows and really liked them. I''m now in the market for a boat like this, and I don''t seem to be seeing them around in the used market. Did anyone actually buy one? All I see advertised is like 1975 34 footers and the brand new 110s and 121s. Is there some reason this particular run of C&C models is so under-represented in the used market?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Here on lake michigan there are more of the 37 + and R''s then 34s. I think there is a 37+ for sale in Wisconsin.Check out sail California for one there.
Bill S

·
Administrator
9,183 Posts

I don''t think these boats sold very well. They were quite expensive for what they were. A few were sold as racers around here but they were never very competitive. In many ways these were the wrong boats at the wrong time. They were production IOR rule beater derived racer/cruisers at a time when IOR was pretty much dying and IMS based or non-rule based boats were taking their place. They have a reputation for being very hard to sail at speed and even more so up to their ratings. For the dollars, if you are not going to race, there were better performance cruisers out there. If you were going to race, they were not competitive. In Annapolis we had a couple highly financed and nearly professionally sailed boats and they consistently finished in the cheap seats. That had to really hurt sales.
Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts