SailNet Community banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
1. Not to my knowledge.
2. That depends on whether the headliner is drilled into the core itself with plain screws. You would have to epoxy and sand down every hole.
3. My Viking 33 has a small headliner from the companionway hatch to about the front of a line drawn between the nav station and the galley sink. It's a C&C design. I put 1/4" backing plates on all deck gear and I have to say no one's ever said the lack of headliner (and the fact it yields 6' 1" of headroom by its absence) made the interior (painted in gloss white) "ugly".

Quite a few, however, have seen the visible backing plates and screws (capped with acorn nuts or grinded smooth by me) and commented "I wish I could get at the underside of my deck like that!"

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Just out of curiosity... What was your headroom clearance before you removed the liner?
As I said, the liner's only partial on the Viking 33 and it's still there, because it's just over the galley and nav station, the "highest" part of the interior. I've removed this liner for backing plate installation, however, and without it I can wear my hat below...

I've been on C&C 33s, however, which are quite similar dimensionally to my boat and do have liners, and I've bumped my head. I'm just over six feet tall or 183 cm.

The wiring on the Viking 33 is pretty minimal, and the runs are inside the cabinetry port and starboard, with the exception of the saloon light, which is fed from a terminal strip in the head, the same strip that feeds the mast lights.

One thing to mention: The cabin is painted with the exception of the area behind that small single "arch" of headliner. Beneath there it is straight glassed over balsa-core, clearly visible in a sort of parquet pattern. It's likely this is what you'll find beneath yours.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.