SailNet Community banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is for anyone that's ever done this or seen this done on a pre-90's era C&C Yacht.

The older C&C's from when C&C still owned the company had/have molded head liners. They are aesthetically pleasing as long as they're not deteriorating or sagging. But they have the same negative aspects as all head liners in that they reduce cabin height and they make installing new deck hardware a messy undertaking.

My particular 70 C&C headliner is in good shape. It's not sagging or falling apart anywhere. But at 6' tall, my head rubs along the 6' cabin height liner if I stand up straight, which isn't optimal for "my" use. So my questions are:

1. In the C&C design, does this molded headliner provide any "necessary" addional structural strength/stability?
  2. How much of an undertaking would be involved in removing it and just painting the cabin ceiling?
  3. Generally speaking, would doing this reduce the value of the boat?

·
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sail on a 1970 35 mark I

Its just there to look nice BUT it also covers a LOT of nuts and bolts that would gouge holes in your head :) and it hides a lot of wires
All the wires I see going through my 1979 seem to be routed behind the side bulkhead panels. There doesn't appear to be anything entering or exiting beneath the liner.

The exposed bolts would be a concern, but there really wouldn't be anything attached to the center-line 2' area where anyone would typically be walking. The cabin top winches and clutches are above the galley to the sides of the companion way. And the line organizers are to the sides near the wall that separates the forward head and the cabin area.

I'm mainly looking for more headroom... Accessibility to the cabin top hardware is just a bonus.

·
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I'd do some investigating to see just how much headroom you'd actually "gain"... all this work might only get you a 1/2 inch or so - would that be worth it?
That's why I'm asking first... "Measure twice cut once"

If the gain was only 1/2", then it would be a definite "no" it wouldn't be worth it. But if I could grab an 1-1/2 or more then it becomes compelling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.