SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
The site doesn't let me do PMs or emails yet (I need to post more first), so until then...

I did contact somebody at the Lake Chelan sailing club, who gave me some guidance. But I still don't know what I need to use the spinnaker. I have the sail, but if I understand correctly, there is a pole that is required to use it. I'm going to have to get somebody to teach me how to use it, as that's currently beyond my pay-grade, just moving up from lateen rigs ;) - but it would be nice if I could get some photos, diagrams, measurement, etc so I could know what to look for, or how to make one in the mean time.

Also - I understand that there needs to be a modification or add-on to keep the centerboard in place in case of capsizing. What is a good setup for that?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

-Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
Steve, idaho is a bit far for me to show you in person, but if you happen to be over in Western Washington, I'd be happy to show you the centerboard setup.

If you look at this picture here (from wikipedia)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/C-lark_4.JPG

It's the red with white fleck line that goes from the centerboard and through the pad-eye near the mainsheet block. With the board down, you pull it tight and then jam it in the cleat to keep it down.

I'm unsure how to rig a spinnaker on the C-Lark (mine doesnt have one nor the rigging) but I do it all the time on a big boat. Need 2 lines that typically run back to the stern quarter on each side. One becomes the guy (controls the pole position) and the other the sheet (controls the clew of the spinnaker). When you gybe, they switch jobs.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you want to chat more.

[email protected]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Okay - so I've got everything figured out but the spinnaker. The boat is already set up for it, but it came to me missing the spinnaker pole, and the previous owner knew nothing about that. Anybody know what length the pole is supposed to be on a C-Lark 14?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would have avoided resurrecting an old thread, but I haven't posted enough to PM via message or e-mail. So,

Hi Steve in Idaho - I live in Idaho too. I have acquired a C-Lark 14 and have everything but the spinnaker pole. Did you have any luck with finding its dimensions? While I could hack something together, this C-Lark sat in its garage from the day it was purchased new until we bought it from the original owner except for the few days it was sailed. If you tell me, or I find out, I will post its dimensions here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry - no. I never found the pole dimensions. My C-lark will be for sale later this summer, as I have moved up to a Ranger 20 and don't have room for the extra boat. Consequently, the spinnaker pole is no longer an issue to me, although it would be nice to include it in the sale.

Enjoy your C-Lark. Mine is fantastic in light winds. Wish I could afford the room to keep it around.

BTW - make sure you secure your centerboard so it won't slide out in a capsize! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Steve! So far, the consensus is ~ 60" for the pole, 1" diameter. I'm going with the Forespar dinghy spinnaker kit and will cut to size. It comes with Mini 6 end fittings and is reasonably priced.

Thanks for the tip on the centerboard. I have seen references to "the centerboard mod" but hadn't quite figured out what that is yet.

Can't wait to sail it - we get plenty of light wind here. Sell it to someone in Sandpoint so we can start a fleet. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just comparing specs from my R20 and extrapolating down, 60" sounds about right. I might have to give it a try with my adjustable whisker pole before selling the boat. ;)

You ever sail Priest Lake? We're thinking of a trip up there sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the Forespar dinghy spinnaker pole kit, which comes with 6' of 1" OD tubing - this allows one to cut to size. I'm going to a cross check the proposed pole length to the j measurement (forestay to mast) prior to the application of blade to metal. Cut twice measure once? :)

I've kayaked the upper portion of Priest, but not sailed it. I'm a homebody except for an occasional dinner visit to Elkins. If I were going to sail, I'd put in there as I think the upper portion of Priest is stunningly beautiful. But I don't know the wind patterns there. On Lake Pend Oreille, we tend to get a nice afternoon breeze through the Clark Fork. But, Priest Lake is definitely worth a visit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey all just got a c lark 14 down in Pensacola fl and have a few rigging questions if anyone would like to help me out I can text a picture too send me a text my number is 850-855-1529 . the question I have pertains to a adjuster of some type at the bottom of my mast ive looked at every web site on the web and cant get any info on it please help

1 - 20 of 21 Posts