SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a saying in Norway, that I unfortunately am unable to translate, at least by means of the existing online dictionaries. The saying is more or less equivalent to: "If you have a horn you will get a car", only in this saying there is rather a cow involved, not a car.

Anyway, in this spirit, my first concern, after having lost everything when my ship sank, was to buy a new laptop. This done, my next concern was my chart reader program (sailcruiser from Navsim) and my electronic charts, charts from C-Map covering from the North Pole to the Canary Islands.

Now the sunshine story is that both Navsim and C-map were very helpful and I managed to restore both the chart reader program and the charts on my new computer. Now only a new ship remains

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think I follow your expression, best of luck with getting the boat. What happened to the previous boat?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Sank Dec 1, 2008, in bay of biscay.
I think I follow your expression, best of luck with getting the boat. What happened to the previous boat?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I am sailing in Mexico, eventually So pacific. C-Map seems way to go. I was thinking of the NavSim SailCruiser charting program. I see you have real world experience with it. It is priced right and does what I want it to do except that it does not overlay GRIB weather files. Would you purchase it again or switch to another. cost is an issue. thanks for any help, Gary

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pevious boat ...

sank in the Bay of Bicay 30.11.2008. About just outside Arcachon in France. I had requested towing from the coastguard as I had enginetrouble, but the towering boat lost my ship and it was never found again. The weather was bad 6 m waves.

For displaying grib-files I used the demo (free) version of RayTech 6, that also displayed med C-map charts. Or, if I were ashore and had an internetconnection, I downloaded weather-files from Movingweather.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts