SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking at C34's and C36's moving up from a Pearson 30.

I've found a few and received a 2006 Survey from the 2nd owner (when he bought it) on a C36
The boat is in the same area and wonder if anyone hesitate to use the same surveyor on the same boat (how does one ask if the Surveyor knows the Owner (remember Impartiality), or would it be best to supply a different surveyor the 2006 report and go from there.
Not sure what the norm is: I've only bought one boat = one survey.

The boat needs some work, but the 2006 survey has it as a Very Good boat, above average at the time.
Now, 7 years have passed, and even with (maybe) minimal servicing, would the boat still be one to consider, or move on?
Need to do a visual, but it's hours away, so wanted to ask this first.
Should I contract with a Surveyor from my area and pay for someone local to me to travel there?
Comments Welcome!!

Thanks,
R

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I really don't think it matters if a surveyor has or hasn't surveyed a boat in the past.
Find the best surveyor you can in the area and go for it. If the best surveyor you can find has surveyed it once before, all the better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No doubt about getting a current survey....that's a definite. Just wanted some opinions on whether to use the same guy...He has an excellent reputation and would be the one to go to in that area.....Just didn't have a gauge for whether it was proper or a good idea to have the same guy do it.
Yep, 8 years is plenty of time to destroy a good boat....let's hope that's not the case.
I plan to call the Original Surveyor Tuesday and see if he has any personal relationship with the current owner, or if he was just hired in 2006 for his expertise, like what I'm looking to do.
Thanks,
R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.