SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2001 Hunter 380. It currently has an end boom traveler over the cockpit built into the bimini. I'd like to move this forward of the companion way. I have seen this on other 380's of the same year. Is this doable? Was it an option when new.

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
You will need a lot more leverage for one. I just moved mine from the cabin top to the bridge deck and like it there. I prefer as much leverage as possible (RE: close as possible to the boom end) Don't know about build options but it keeps the cockpit clear where it is. With a dodger up you wont see the main anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Auspicious:

Fair question. I have not sailed this rigging configuration before. What concerns me is the bimini set-up. I have included a link to a picture.. I like to be able to see my sails and want to be able to get the boom out at a good angle to the lifelines. I'm taking the boat out next weekend for a trail sail.. Still not sure how the bimini comes apart. I don't mind the dodger, but I can take it or leave it.

Yes, this is a Craigslist boat. I'm also working with a broker. Lol

Oops, can't post links yet. Sorry

·
Registered
929 Posts
The traveler on those is attached to the radar arch. You can remove the bimini completely and still have the traveler at the boom-end.

Personally, I prefer boom-end sheeting, and this design is particularly nice as it keeps the traveller out of the cockpit and out of the way.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The installation isn't that hard, but you need to confirm the boom extrusion. Moving the traveler from the end to the middle doubles the sheet loads, move the sheet adjustment forward 75% quadruples the loads. A good designer would use a smaller section for an end boom sheeting boat, and so your section may not be strong enough to handle the loads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts