SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Hunter 30---she's about 30 yrs old. She was on the hard & the cabin floor had about an inch of standing water. (not sure where it came from)
Anyway the plywood teak & holly floor is delaminating. Can I just remove this plywood and lay down some outdoor/indoor carpet? Or is there another flooring I could use? Replacing the teak & holly plywood would be expensive?

·
19,485 Posts
About 30 yrs old.. so '84? the older Cheribuni Hunter line?

Clearly the old floor is toast, if you remove it you'll likely need to replace the substrate with marine plywood at least. I'd not recommend carpet in that area - moisture/dust/dirt absorber, mold trap etc.

You could make your own floor from a plywood substrate and using relatively inexpensive flooring like solid bamboo or such, a friend has done that with good effect. You can buy the Teak and Holly style panels, they are about $250-300 or so for a 4x8 sheet - you might get away with one. That would be the 'best look' and I think make you happiest long term, long after you've forgotten the 'cost'.

Don't forget to check carefully for other issues under there due to the prolonged soaking.. keel bolts and backing plates etc. if applicable.

·
Registered
830 Posts
As much as I like the look of wood; I prefer a 'glass sole in the salon. Easy to maintain..a quick nwipe w/a damp cloth. non worries about oil drips, food spills, sand, fish scales or whatever.
If I need "fancy" of an evening, I tthrow a piece of floor runner carpeT.

Iff/n ya hafta replac ethe entire deckanyway...... ;)

YMMV
Paul

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
For the race boat we pulled the nice teak and holly boards and replaced them with 3/4 marine ply encapsulated in epoxy and painted. The replacement boards cost a whole lot less and were much easier to maintain.

As mentioned carpet is a terrible idea on boats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.