SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting All,
I am endeavoring to replace my cabin sole after I discovered that subfloor was decayed.
What I am looking fork, so far unsuccessfully, is a book or an article that describes (hopefully with images)the complete sole replacement in a sail boat. I have found a few/several none of them seem to really address what i am looking for. Things like, if i go with marine plywood for the flooring and coat with epoxy how then is it attached to the subfloor, is is only by tabbing? If i go with slats (teak) do i need a plywood base first, and then how would slats be connected with the sub floor, counter sunk screws and then filled, glued individually?
I feel like i have a pretty good understanding of the process but i know there will some questions that a reference book would be of use.
thanks all in advance.

Ken

1975 25' Hunter

·
Registered
987 Posts
You will probably be able to find out what other boats like your have from people on the Hunter Owners' website. You would do best to repair the boat in the same manner that it was originally designed.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
cabin sole how-to

Hi
These two sites can help you with your project:
http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/
this site is a very hands-on site. Virtually every member is rebuilding all or part of their boat themselves - ask a question and you get several answers from handy people who have been there.
Northern Yacht Restoration | 1986 Contessa 26 Equinox
This is a site documenting the restoration of quite a few boats documented in a step by step manner with pictures. It is owned by Tim Lackey, who owns the first site as well-sort of the ultimate repair guru. On this link go to the december 17 page and he documents the replacement of the cabin sole of a Contessa 26. The rest of the site is well worth a look as well.
Brian

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Usually, the cabin sole of a boat is supported by floors and stringers in the boat's hull. On newer boats, the cabin sole is generally an integral part of a cabin liner...

Tim Lackey's website is a great reference, and he does pretty amazing work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts