SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. One of my winter projects is getting some sound installed in the cabin of my Catalina 27. I have a media receiver picked out that looks to work well and should fit my needs but the speakers are proving more difficult, most likely due to my anal retentive nature :D.

I've read quite a few posts here about what people use but having trouble finding speakers that:

1. Are surface or bookcase that are 4 ohm
2. Not too cheap or crappy looking
3. Not too expensive or huge

If I have to cut holes I will, but would rather not. I'd prefer an attractive set of bookshelf speakers I can mount or place on the starboard shelf that cost less than $150/pair. I've found plenty of cheap looking speakers for $20, but sure they sound like $20. The sound quality doesn't have to be great, I just need something I can listen to while lounging in the cabin, not blasting underway.

And yes, I have read the posts blasting Bose so not looking to start that argument again. Any brand as long as they are okay sounding.

If anyone can help me out with specific models of brands they use I would appreciate it.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,073 Posts
I used these, were cheaper even still when I bought them. Sound quality is OK, not Polk OK, but good enough. They are 4 ohm, even though it doesn't say in the post, and the mounts are stable enough to sail on my ear without them moving.

I also purchased a dead cheap marine stereo with NO CD player, but took USB and had an SD card behind the faceplate. That radio has turned out to be pretty decent. However it was rated at 40 watts peak, and it'll drive the speakers OK, but I still purchased an amp to give the system quicker punch.

Buy the way a marina neighbor purchased the same speakers, and also put an amp on his head unit, and gets great tones out of these speakers as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
Hello all. One of my winter projects is getting some sound installed in the cabin of my Catalina 27. I have a media receiver picked out that looks to work well and should fit my needs but the speakers are proving more difficult, most likely due to my anal retentive nature :D.

I've read quite a few posts here about what people use but having trouble finding speakers that:

1. Are surface or bookcase that are 4 ohm
2. Not too cheap or crappy looking
3. Not too expensive or huge

If I have to cut holes I will, but would rather not. I'd prefer an attractive set of bookshelf speakers I can mount or place on the starboard shelf that cost less than $150/pair. I've found plenty of cheap looking speakers for $20, but sure they sound like $20. The sound quality doesn't have to be great, I just need something I can listen to while lounging in the cabin, not blasting underway.

And yes, I have read the posts blasting Bose so not looking to start that argument again. Any brand as long as they are okay sounding.

If anyone can help me out with specific models of brands they use I would appreciate it.
You don't need a 4 ohm speaker. 8 Ohm gives you a lot more options..

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I used some smaller Yamaha outdoor speakers on my Catalina 25. I think they were these ones:
Amazon.com: Yamaha NS-AW350W 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers (Pair, White): [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41S2050APEL

They don't sound awesome, but they sound good for $90 speakers and were easy to mount and fit into the boat. Polk also makes a lot of similarly priced and spec'd speakers, like these ones:
Amazon.com: Polk Audio Atrium 4 Outdoor Speakers (Pair, White): [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41RoTFYbLEL

All of these are 8ohm. Is there some reason why you prefer 4 ohm?

I use an old pair of these in my workshop and they sound better than the Yamaha's. They are 4 ohm:
JBL :: Product Family

They aren't meant for marine environments, but I've considered putting a pair of those on the boat anyway. They've been made for over 20 years and are easy to find used.

Note that none of these have compelling bass. Nothing in this size range will.

I'm curious why you want 4 ohm speakers for moderate listening levels inside the cabin?

An related but unsolicited piece of advice: if you get a bluetooth compatible head unit to stream music from your phone make sure that it can be configured to do BT Audio only and not BT Phone. I have some Sony car stereo on my boat that the previous owner installed, but it has no mic. If someone calls me while I'm streaming music it will typically answer over the stereo and I'll be able to hear them, but not respond, until I turn off bluetooth.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was under the impression I needed to use 4 ohm with the car stereo. If not then I would have no problem finding good 8 ohm speakers, plenty of choices.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An related but unsolicited piece of advice: if you get a bluetooth compatible head unit to stream music from your phone make sure that it can be configured to do BT Audio only and not BT Phone. I have some Sony car stereo on my boat that the previous owner installed, but it has no mic. If someone calls me while I'm streaming music it will typically answer over the stereo and I'll be able to hear them, but not respond, until I turn off bluetooth.
Yes, the Alpine unit is with BT, so looking forward to that, thanks.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I was under the impression I needed to use 4 ohm with the car stereo. If not then I would have no problem finding good 8 ohm speakers, plenty of choices.
You'll need 4 ohm speakers to get the maximum available power out of the amp. If you don't care about it being loud then getting 4 ohm speakers is not a requirement.

Amp manufacturers list typically list minimum impedance because going lower than that can overdrive the amplifier (pulling more current then the amp can handle and causing it to overheat). So if your amp says 4 ohm minimum then 2 ohm would be bad, but 8 ohm will be just fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cabin Speakers

If you have a smart phone or radio with Bluetooth or wifi, Ecoxgear makes a nice portable, battery powered, waterproof speaker that sounds good. My girlfriend was listening to Pandora from her phone and this speaker is so much better and can be moved up on the deck easily. No holes to cut, no wires to run, just need to recharge the battery occasionally while at dock.

George

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Using 8 ohms will give me a great choice, so I will go that route. Don't really care about being waterproof, and no problem to run wires as I have done plenty of that.

Suppose if I need more volume I can get an amp to use?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Re: Cabin Speakers

If you have a smart phone or radio with Bluetooth or wifi, Ecoxgear makes a nice portable, battery powered, waterproof speaker that sounds good. My girlfriend was listening to Pandora from her phone and this speaker is so much better and can be moved up on the deck easily. No holes to cut, no wires to run, just need to recharge the battery occasionally while at dock.
I second this idea, it's really the way to go...

I was talking to someone yesterday that said when he installed speakers it effected his compass by 10 degrees...

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
You should be able to deselect phone audio in your phones settings and just have media audio selected for music and everything else not phone call related.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
I was going to look at wakeboard tower speakers for my boat.. Some are bigger than others but you may find some cheaper smaller ones. They mount on rails so if you have a dodger or mast rest(can't think of the term right now..) or a stern arch that would be simple enough and no holes in the cockpit.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=350929372829

Or something similar.. Just a thought

·
Registered
23,892 Posts
Side info. If you plan to have speakers in both the salon and cockpit, be sure your radio has the ability to fade from front to back. We often want music on down below, but do not want it playing in the cockpit, such as quite mornings or evenings in the marina. On the other hand, to hear it in the cockpit while underway on a windy day, you really need the volume much higher up above than is comfortable down below.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
A separate amp with control dial would solve that. Just have the cockpit speakers on the amp so you can turn them up without having to turn the interior Ones up

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I bought this bookshelf system because I had no desire to run wires and drill holes. And, frankly, on a 24' boat (or a 27', for that matter), it sounds just fine. When underway I just crank it up to 11 (no, not really) and it sounds great in the cockpit. I like the unit because it has a sliding door that protects the iPod and CD. I mounted it on the little shelf between the dinette table and the liner. I had to remove the decorative wooden moulding used to store condiments. Overall, I am very happy with the setup.
Amazon.com: Panasonic SC-HC37 Energy Star Micro 40-Watt Audio System with Auto-Sliding Dock: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@31nXHqexclL

·
Freedom isn't free
3,073 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I agree with the suggestions to use bookshelf type outdoor speakers. Lots of options. Going 8 ohm will just reduce the power the head unit can deliver.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts