SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a used boat to cruise in the PNW, Alaska and Canada's west coast for three plus seasons. Something in the 30 to 40ft range. I want to be able to have refuge from the wet and cold weather without loosing the ability to appreciate the beauty of the location. Does anyone have any suggestions? Pilot house boats are acceptable providing they are sailing boats first rather than motor sailors.

Thanks

·
Registered
Hunter 386
570 Posts
Find something with a good enclosure and you should be good. I find I am still pretty dry even with the sides rolled up in the rain unless it is really driving and by then I usually just go below since there is very little reason to be out and about in that kind of [email protected] It's mostly about cutting the wind and the bow almost always points into the wind when at anchor. As long as you aren't looking to be lounging in your bikini, I find the PNW pretty hospitable most of the time—then again I like the rain.

Other than that, a boat is a boat. I have found teak seats dry faster than fiberglass. Look for how much ventilation you can have when it's raining. My port hole above the stove is unusable in the rain. Obviously look for leaks or signs of leaks—chasing down a leak is a huge pain. A walk through transom is easier than clambering over the side—doubley so in the rain. Lots of little things like a reel for stern-tie line make some operations faster, minimizing time in the rain but that can all be added on as needed.

Good luck in your search

·
Master Mariner
8,369 Posts
My port hole above the stove is unusable in the rain.
I found these folks have the solution to that problem. We haven't had to close a port in years in under 40 knots of wind and rain. Ask about their eyebrows!
Paula Biles
Seaworthy Goods (seaworthygoods.com)?

Reactions: MacBlaze
1 - 4 of 4 Posts