SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cable TV connection

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MJBrown 
#1 ·
How do you run your cable from the dock box to your boat? What is the connection you use at the boat it's self, is there a proper waterproof marine connector similar to the shore power cord,or do you just run the coax cable thru a open port light. Moving aboard soon and cable TV and Internet is available at the dock box my old boat wasn't wired for cable.
Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I have sat, but those that I see with cable use std coax that plugs to a receptical simular to a shore power receptical on the boat. I would use zipties and zip it to your SP cord or just use the same velcro straps that secures your SP to the dock finger

Those cable receptical aren't that expensive and pretty easy to install

#7 ·
I would at least investigate grounding the coax once it is on board, possibly running it through a grounding block and then wiring the block to earth ground. I think that is how it is wired when it comes into your house, I seem to remember the cable company even drives it's own ground rod.

#8 ·
I just installed cable on a new boat. Purchased the receptacle from WM. Be aware there's two different models and a difference in price. I bought the one that has connections for both cable and telephone for apx $80. The model that only handled cable was $130. Not sure what the logic was with them giving more for less, but I went for the cheaper model. It's stainless and matches the shore receptacles. I ran the better shielded cable just to make sure I didn't pick up any stray electrical noise from other wiring I was running the cable along side of. The whole process was easy with the hardest part being running the cable behind seats, cabinets, etc. BTW as an alternative to a TV antenna for those times you're not in a marina with cable TV, just take a length of the cable (long enough to reach from the receptacle to one of your backstays) and connect the one end to the receptacle as if it was the cable coming in from the dock, then cut the other end and strip apx 4" of the insulation. Wrap the 4" bare end around the rigging and be prepared to have an amazing picture signal.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.