SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gudday! My wife and I will be visiting Cabo next week (flying sadly, not sailing) and was looking for some local information. Things to do, must sees, etc. We are not very touristy but we like historical and cultural stuff. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. If anyone is living down there, maybe we can meet up for lunch or a beer.

================================================
Cabo San Lucas | Say Gudday

·
Senior Slacker
4,223 Posts
Cabo is basically a tourist/party town. San Jose del Cabo is much nicer (but getting more "touristy" all the time). Todos Santos (about an hour north of Cabo) is still pretty laid back; and some of the beaches between Cabo and Todos Santos are absolutely spectacular.

Reactions: SayGudday

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cabo is basically a tourist/party town. San Jose del Cabo is much nicer (but getting more "touristy" all the time). Todos Santos (about an hour north of Cabo) is still pretty laid back; and some of the beaches between Cabo and Todos Santos are absolutely spectacular.
Thanks for the feedback. We've avoided going there in the past because our heads were filled with visions of drunken college kids and crowds of tourists but my aversion to these things evaporate when someone offers me a free timeshare to stay in.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Todas Santos is now a artsy place, home of the original Hotel California (Eagles) but this now. Some great beaches and surf, even by downunder standards. I usually camp down any arroyo to the beach or hang out in the harbor parking lot in Cabo. But I brought my RV. Sailed every day for free by bringing a couple of paying guests to the charter boat. That was a win/win gig. Some great mountain tracks to isolated villages if you dare.

·
Senior Slacker
4,223 Posts
Todas Santos is now a artsy place, home of the original Hotel California (Eagles) but this now. ...
An old myth the folks in Todos Santos like to hear, if not actively spread. In reality, the "Hotel California" in Todos Santos has nothing to do with the song. It's just a coincidence.

Reactions: SayGudday

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Jeeese, that just ruined my faith in Mexican tour guides .But the tequila is still cheaper than bottled water in the grocery store in Todas. Maybe there is a connection?.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Todas Santos is now a artsy place, home of the original Hotel California (Eagles) but this now. Some great beaches and surf, even by downunder standards. I usually camp down any arroyo to the beach or hang out in the harbor parking lot in Cabo. But I brought my RV. Sailed every day for free by bringing a couple of paying guests to the charter boat. That was a win/win gig. Some great mountain tracks to isolated villages if you dare.
That sounds like the life for me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lived in Cabo for a year recently, people are only friendly if you are spending MONEY! Its expensive too!

Cabo is small, the downtown tourist area, the rest of the town is the bedroom communities for the workers.

One poster said San Jose del Cabo is nice and worth the visit, well he is right. There are allot of buses that will take you out there. The bus will drop you off on the side of the road anywhere in between so you can hit the nice beaches. Chileno Beach is a real nice one. You could get a snorkeling package in town and they will boat you there, the price is negotiable.

The ideal vacation in that general area is to rent a car and go all around.
The best place is La Paz, I lived there for 6 years. That place is the best when it comes down to prices and things to do. Plus it is the oldest town in BCS.

Dont do the tourist trap thing, it boring, and you will agree with me when you find yourself doing it.

Cant forget Todo Santos, a nice quite town near the water. If you go there drop on in at "Shut up Franks" if it still around, there's where the Gringos hangout and you can get a wealth of info.

Any more Q's just ask me.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lived in Cabo for a year recently, people are only friendly if you are spending MONEY! Its expensive too!

Cabo is small, the downtown tourist area, the rest of the town is the bedroom communities for the workers.

One poster said San Jose del Cabo is nice and worth the visit, well he is right. There are allot of buses that will take you out there. The bus will drop you off on the side of the road anywhere in between so you can hit the nice beaches. Chileno Beach is a real nice one. You could get a snorkeling package in town and they will boat you there, the price is negotiable.

The ideal vacation in that general area is to rent a car and go all around.
The best place is La Paz, I lived there for 6 years. That place is the best when it comes down to prices and things to do. Plus it is the oldest town in BCS.

Dont do the tourist trap thing, it boring, and you will agree with me when you find yourself doing it.

Cant forget Todo Santos, a nice quite town near the water. If you go there drop on in at "Shut up Franks" if it still around, there's where the Gringos hangout and you can get a wealth of info.

Any more Q's just ask me.

Good Luck!
Much thanks, mate! I'll definitely be sure to let you know how the trip goes. I visited the batcave in Griffith Park recently and told my wife it was going to be hard to beat that! I said it half as a joke...but also half as a small boy who grew up watching Burt Ward in the tv series.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My family went on a touristy type race between two team New Zealand America's Cup Swiss Boats. Hopefully they're still operating, it's a must. Also the kids loved swimming with the dolphins.

Well it is operating!
cabosanlucastours.net/Americas-Cup-Sailing-Tour.htm

Have fun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My family went on a touristy type race between two team New Zealand America's Cup Swiss Boats. Hopefully they're still operating, it's a must. Also the kids loved swimming with the dolphins.

Well it is operating!
cabosanlucastours.net/Americas-Cup-Sailing-Tour.htm

Have fun.
Love swimming with dolphins and have fond memories of watching th Americas Cup boats 'dive-bomb' our tour boat in the Bahamas.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I was in Cabo on 09 and saw 3 or 4 12 metres out sailing every day. Was there about a month ago and did not see them. Might still be there but there but no sign of them now.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
as of this instant, cabo san lucas is THE most expensive place in mexico. anchoring is 20 dollars us per night. the rest isnt for those not made of money with a platinum method of withdrawal.....

fuel stop was ok--at least pricing of fuel is government controlled....but the rest is beyond belief..even SMELLS like money....have a lot of fun and enjoy the pricey side of mexico...is pretty, but zihuatenejo is nicer...and more affordable. same with la paz--and la paz is just around the corner from cabo..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Surf at Costa Azul, snorkel pretty much any beach, and drink a margarita at Cabo Wabo Cantina! Yes it very touristy but its a fun little town.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
if you have lots of money cabo is dabomb. if you are on a budget--avoid it at all costs except for fuel at fuel dock. then you can see much of the money , if not smell it. anchoring overnight is costly, marinas are worse.
if you fly in and fly out or go by car--is great..but by boat--rethink. or pay out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts