SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 79'? Cal 29, owner says it needs main bulkhead replaced! Should a repair like this be done in the water so the hull keeps its shape or can it be done on the hard with the weight distributed evenly on jack stands??? With the keel taking some of the weight?? And what other repairs should I do while the bulkhead is out??? Thank you

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think the only issue is the mast loads. The post under it in the cabin and the straps that the shrouds are attached to. So pulling the mast would eliminate these loads. I think your deck should take care of holding the hull shape. Other repairs may be to go over the mast when its out looking for fastener corrosion, maybe replacing the hallyard sheves, replacing the spreaders, and if it's old the standing rigging. You also may want to wire in a masthead light

·
Registered
663 Posts
oh also while you're doing the bulkhead you may want to replace the straps for the shrouds with stainless as they can be well rusted in an older boat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your input!!! I found the boat on craigslist, now it's not up there anymore? Emailed him and no response. Still looking!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Having recently bought a Cal 2-29 - I would walk away from any that needed the bulkhead replaced --unless you have the time, knowledge and skill to do it yourself ( time being the important factor) they are great sailing boats and you can find them cheap - don't waste your time on one that needs structural repairs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts