SailNet Community banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are actually 2 more blocks, one on either side that are actually mounted to the side of the boat, not the main sheet blocks, I'll take some pictures after work, and I'll get some pics of the rails too, don't think I could tell the difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't actually post the picture in link form so I guess just copy and paste my link? I put a space in so the forum won't pick up that its a url?

ht tps://goo.gl/photos/mosLwapPJxF5SqAK7

Hopefully that works.

You can see the main sheet as well. I haven't seen any other boats with blocks in these positions. But then again I haven't seen that many boats either. :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, you are correct, those are not the mainsheet blocks....... WEIRD! Maybe a previous owner used those for a genoa or spinnaker? Kind of weird setup. I was able to post your picture here for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and I apologize for asking questions that are probably already answered in the hundreds of posts on here. I am in crunch time with making a decision on buying a 73 Cal21. I have been trying to find any info I can on the Cal21's. I greatly appreciate any info you can provide me. Currently my biggest question is, can you sail it at all with the keel retracted or will any amount of wind knock it down or performance would be so horrible that it is not practical for 1/4 mile transit over shoals. Thank you!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Really you should only sail the CAL 21 with the keel down and locked. In light airs the boat might be stable enough even with the keel all the way up, but without the keel sticking out you have no directional control (Boat becomes a saucer on hte water with nothing to stop leeway) also, you will need the rudder for steering and it extends down a couple of feet anyway, negating the "advantage" of having the keel retracted (draft about 10").
The CAL 21 was designed so that when you get her in hte water, you lower the keel into position, insert the locking bolt, remove the cable from the keel, insert the keel plug, cover the opening in the cockpit, and sail off in a "semi-fixed" keel boat. If you need to transit a 1/4 mile shoal area (less than 5' of water, boat draws 4'3" keel down) to get out to where you will be sailing, then perhaps the CAL 21 is not the boat for you. You might be better off with a keel/centerboard boat, like an O'DAY 222 or 192 (or O'DAY 20, Precision 21, Quickstep 21, Precision 18, Starwind 19) or a shoal-keel boat like the O'DAY 22 (1'11" draft) or one of the other boats with a shallow wing-keel. There are various centerboard designs too, (O'DAY or Stuart Mariner, O'DAY 19, Sanibel 18). Some of the other retractable-keel boats like the MacGregor-Venture line (17. 21, 22, 24, 25) or the Balboa 20, Ensenada 20, Catalina 22, Santana 21 could be easier to get over that shoal, their keels still are intended to be locked down while sailing, but most still expose enough keel to aid steering with it retracted, although I would still be careful and might still suggest powering until past the shoal.

Alternatively, you could launch the CAL 21, lower the keel part way (about 1/4 to 1/3 down) to provide some control, attach rudder if keel is deeper than rudder, otherwise carefully steer using outboard as you power out beyond that shoal. Once out past the shoal, stop, lower anchor, and then lower the keel down and lock it. Go sailing! Then on the way back in, stop before the shoal and raise keel partway and power back to the ramp. One downside is that it is a LOT easier lowering/raising the keel at dockside than while anchored, especially if you would then be near any waves (or powerboat action) as calm water is very much desired for the operation, specially inserting/removing the locking bolt. Sailing without the locking bolt would not be wise, as the keel will tend to swing a bit fore and aft, and I'm not sure how well the keel plug could be used, thereby allowing water to surge in and out of the cockpit opening of the keel well while sailing, making sailing with dry feet a bit hard.

One final option would be to get a mooring out past the shoal and keep the keel down and locked for the season. That was what we did for the 38 years we had our CAL 21. It had been our intention to keep the boat moored in the cove in front of our house, but it turned out the water wasn't deep enough there, so we rented a mooring at a nearby boatyard which worked OK for us.

I am a tremendous fan of the CAL 21 and can recommend her highly, but I also recognize that she isn't the right boat for everyone. Right now, my sailing budget would not allow renting a boatyard mooring and I've grown too attached to keeping my present boat (1979 O'DAY Day Sailer II) in the cove in front of our family cottage...... so, if I ever realize my dream of a larger boat.... sadly, she won't be a CAL 21.

Reactions: Samstanley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for the information!! I will keep my eye out for one of the boats that you listed. I really liked the Cal21, but I think I might need to find other boat ramps to launch from. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey all. I bought a Cal 21 a few years back, and it required a lot of work in the cabin... the issue I'm trying to fix now is finding a replacement for the top pintle, which has been broken off, but also the rudder gudgeons are missing. would it be worthwhile to just buy a set of medium duty pintles and gudgeons and give up on replacing the three missing pieces? what size hardware should I be looking for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone new guy here, just bought a Cal21 hull #535 from what I have discovered it has been very well taken care of, and it has all its parts,, lol even the mysterious keel plug. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Stermp ,
Just offering a friendly wave as someone else who took on a Cal 21 this year. Mine will be a little more of a project than yours .It's been gutted, and stripped of hardware (Most of it was pretty crusty anyway we have the rigging, been demasted at some point, had extensive keel housing damage and missing mainsail and boom. I affectionately call her "Humpty Dumpty" but I'm having fun trying to put humpty together again. I'll post some pics when I have time. Still time to go out once more for pictures and maybe a few more repairs. Making her watertight is the first task, addressing the keel, and getting her on the water so I can fit her out properly in front of my home , are on the priority list.Mast is non- original as is the "mast step" They're wonderfully simple boats however .
My ownership may only serve to complicate things more!

Pictures of this hot mess sure to follow, I've taken quite a few already and some short video clips

·
Registered
13 Posts
So it's like a year later, how have we gotten on? Lots of progress, but hampered by distance and travel to where I currently have the boat stored. I've fixed some things, and most things are "in progress " somewhere but maybe not that far along.

Here's the story behind this boat, I went looking for a trailer sailor. I wanted something on the small side I could take my son ( 11) out on. My son is autistic and took a sudden interest in sailing a year or so ago. Cant do much but seems to be enjoying himself immensely as mostly ballast and passenger on our little laser.

So this woman approached me and said yes I have an old Cal 21 stored at my dad's place, but it's been Gutted. I'm sure you could fix it up but it proved more of a challenge than what me and my husband could do. It's $500 . And so, I bought the boat sight unseen. Knowing it was disassembled and in poor condition, The idea is to launch it locally here in Ottawa and take my son out for a weekend or two in the summertime.

So what did I buy for $500? Pretty much a stripped shell. All the pieces have been removed and a lot of them, are non-original tot he boat.

lets start with the keel housing, Followed up by where I got with it last summer:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is the only picture I had prior to buying the boat. Except the boat didnt look like this anymore. All the deck Spoiler alert, the mast is off of a catalina and the tabernackle is constructed of heavily welded plate amuninum I'm sure it's strong had been removed. I have a crrent picture of that tabernacle. That sure isnt original. , but the two or three bolt holes through the mast that looked like they were chewed by a beaver sure werent! So, I've done the math, determined that a good wind will crack that mast in half and the wires are so dodgy they all need to be replaced anyway. This made it easy. I went on the hunt for a new mast, and, I've succeeded! I purchased a cal 20 mast which should be identically rigged to the cal 21. It comes without the bottom part of the mast step however these are still avalable from Seals Spars.It does come with all the stay wires in good condition! I have to drive to Oshawa area to get it.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
The sail Bags revealed: Good condition Genoa and Working Jib. That is all. No mainsail, nada. This mainsail was purchased from Pinneys Yauct surplus in california. Note the sail number! I'm honoured!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lots of time spent epoxy filling holes and sanding down bits. I'm not sold on the rubber antislip and I think its damaged so it will probably be a kiwigrip application.Lots of time has been spent filling holes with thickened epoxy and removing a million screws from alog under the toerail. All these sharp ends are in the inside of the hull. I've removed most of them ( to be replaced with stainless bolts and washers) but there seem to be some that are holding in a piece of foam between the hull sections so the screw heads arent accessible. All te other holes have been filled with thickened epoxy and bolts will replace them . I'm really concerned about water ingress along the joint when heeled over . The access covers have been replaced. I got replacement jib sheet pulleys for the tracks and new LED navigation lights. I've made patterns to replace some of the bulkheads inside but not put together the replacement pieces of marine plywood yet. I've a lot of work ahead of me. I've long since determined any budget is meaningless, and I'm just fixing it to as close to original as possible. It's my hobby and the very definition of a "project boat".

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
go back to page 11 Paul the pictures are there. before and after ( well as it stands currently) . Still to do, drop the keel, work the repair from outside the hull.

I'll explain what you are seeing in the first pictures. The repair area around the securing bolts was ground down almost to the gelcoat, then alternating pieced of chopped matt and woven fiberglass were laid up over the thin remaining fiberglass. It took me all day from breakfast through to 8 at night to let each of the layers kick off before laying the next. I'll need to drill out for the new securing pin for the keel. The Keel bolt looks in good condition and maay have only been in the water briefly if at all, Stiff plastic was used inside the keel housing in order to provide structure to mould around and removed afterwards. It was an ambitious first project at fiberglassing :)

I should also mention the keel winch timber is teak, and almost rotted through. It will need replacing and I'm considering installing an electric keel winch. Most of the rest of the rigging replacements have been purchased but not installed for the most part. I need to finish the fiberglass work so I can paint the deck before any of the new shiney bits can be installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently acquired a cal 21. I believe her to be built in 1969 #24 is on the main sail and is also stamped on the inside of the hull on the transom. Like everyone else there is rotted wood in the cabin. I have a question about an outboard motor. Should it be a long shaft or will a short shaft work?
I have attached pics of her when I bought it. Outside picture when I brought her home.
2.jpg
Here is some pictures of the cabin and inside the hull

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently acquired a cal 21. I believe her to be built in 1969 #24 is on the main sail and is also stamped on the inside of the hull on the transom. Like everyone else there is rotted wood in the cabin. I have a question about an outboard motor. Should it be a long shaft or will a short shaft work?
I have attached pics of her when I bought it. Outside picture when I brought her home.
View attachment 122342
Here is some pictures of the cabin and inside the hull

Hi Silver!
Yes, that is some rot!
Pretty much the entirety of the interior woodwork has to be ripped out, and new wood tabbed in.
I faced pretty much exactly what you have there, except that a previous owner had already ripped out all the bulkheads chainplates and all the wood in general. So it's really interesting to see your pics, you have an advantage over me in that your "templates" for the replacement wood is still in place. Use this to your advantage, take lots of pictures and paper templates of the bulkhead so you can make new ones out of marine plywood.

I wasnt aware there was a bulkhead across underneath the ccockpit sole by the end of the quarter berth.I was aware of the longitudinal piece running from the end of the keel housing . It would be useful to see the section where the keel housing is inside under the compression post I have some questions on it's original construction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seana,
I will try and take some more pictures of the inside to help you out during the day. You are correct about making patterns.
One thing I learned today reading a lot of posts is it's not a good idea to sail without those pieces intact. Sounds like it puts stress on the hull.
I'm still trying to find out if I need a long shaft outboard motor or if a regular or short shaft would work.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts