SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so decided to start a tread dedicated to the new boat.

i just picked up a call 25 for free. no outboard. no trailer. no sails.

what is a good size outboard for this boat?

were can i find good strong sails that arnt an arm and a leg. i mean over 1000 just for one? i cant do it. i don't care if they are used as long as in good condition

·
19,485 Posts
Google 'used sails', and 'sailboat rig dimensions'.

There are several used sail outlets, on-line and local consignment where utility sails might be found for cheap. To choose, you need comparable rig size.

CAL 25 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Your rig dimension are on the above page. J is distance mast to bow fitting, I is deck to top of forestay, P is height from boom to top of mainsail, E is length of main along the boom.

A 6-8hp outboard should be adequate, but smaller will get you out there too. For longer trips you may need more power due to the increased odds of headwinds or current.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
were can i find good strong sails that arnt an arm and a leg. i mean over 1000 just for one? i cant do it. i don't care if they are used as long as in good condition
Be prepared to pay at least $800 for both sails if they are in decent shape. First thing, you have to get the sail dimensions right for your boat. Raise the measuring tape with the main halyard to make sure you have a standard rig, and measure your boom.
If you get sails that do not fit your boat, adjusting them to size will cost you another $300 or more.

·
19,485 Posts
B210 rig dimensions:

I:23.80' J:8.10'
P:20.00' E:8.30'

Cal 25

I:29.80' J:10.00' / 3.05m
P:25.00' E:11.00' / 3.35m

The Buccaneer sails will be substantially too small... but whatever...

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
We had a Coronado 25 on San Francisco Bay for many years. Started with a 6HP outboard which was adequate in calm conditions, & soon went to a 15HP which was the same size & weight as the 9.9HP. The 15 HP was plenty, very seldom ran it flat out.

I think the Cal 25 is similar to the Coronado 25, weight wise? The 10HP motor should get it done in most heavy weather, big chop conditions. Unless the Cal 25 has a well, I would think a long shaft motor would be necessary if there is any chop to contend with?

Paul T

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
1 - 20 of 123 Posts