SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
If the boat has solid hull solid deck and smooth running engine (preferably fresh water cooled) the additional three to ten thousand you spend on the boat can be spread over several years. If you have a friend who can help with an unofficial survey you can find out
(sorta) how much work needs to be done on the boat. It could be the gem in the rough.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,834 Posts
Most brokers get a 10% cut of the gross sale price from the seller... So this guy *might* make $295.00 if the boat sells at asking price.:confused:

I believe that YachtWorld charges a listing fee too...

I smell fish.:rolleyes:

However, if I were interested in this boat, I would read the boat inspection trip tips thread carefully to get ideas of what to check. I would be particularly interested in looking for delamination of the deck, and the integrity of the keel / hull connection (sistered bolts would NOT be acceptable to me).

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
In this area, FL, brokers won't touch a boat less than $50,000 or the equivalent fee $5,000. Most won't touch an old boat at all. That said the broker may be placing it for a charity at no fee. In any case expect this boat not to be in the best shape, it's a '76 and it's probably been rode hard and put away wet a lot of times. Look long and hard at the mast step area on the deck and inside on the keel to mast post connection. If you think you might buy it hire a surveyor, he might cost you $200-300 but you definitely don't want to be stuck with something that turns out to be a hunk of junk and now you can't get rid of it. Run, don't walk away if you hear things like the engine can be just tuned up or that's a cheap keel repair. Good Luck, but don't expect too much.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
For 3k if she floats and the engine runs have a test sail if sails are in use able condition I would take it judging by the pictures she doesn't look neglected just make sure the keel bolts are in OK to good shape and the standing rigging isn't ready to break m2cw

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's a Cal 2-27. My first boat was a Cal 2-27. They are great boats, and there's usually at least one competing in every California to Hawaii Trans-Pac race, so it's not a wimpy boat. You'll probably need to replace the standing rigging, most of the lines, and re-bed a few things, but the biggest concern is the A4. Make sure it's running well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a Cal 2-27. My first boat was a Cal 2-27. They are great boats, and there's usually at least one competing in every California to Hawaii Trans-Pac race, so it's not a wimpy boat. You'll probably need to replace the standing rigging, most of the lines, and re-bed a few things, but the biggest concern is the A4. Make sure it's running well.
Kbyte,

Assuming those repairs are necessary what would you estimate as the cost for that work?

Also, the boat is in RI so I wonder if it would be worth it to have her shipped to TN. Probably cost 2K just for that.

Kriscross, have you had any personal experience with this boat or is that just an observation from the pics?

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I have sailed on Cal 2-27 but did not own one. The design is really good: fast, safe, easy to sail. They are also quite well built by the yard. Boat which looks clean and well kept is generally a boat which has been well taken care of. Atomic 4 is a good motor and on a boat like that there is no sense replacing it with a diesel. So to me it seems like a good boat which is very reasonably priced. If you can find a reasonable surveyor (I would not pay more then $400 to have it surveyed) go for it. But you can also read up on what to look for and do your own survey. On a boat like that it is not a rocket science. Or if you know a good sailor, ask him to look at the boat with you.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,834 Posts
I agree that the pix look great... But I have seen this done too many times;

Reality vs Picture

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
A friend has a Cal 2-27 that she sails on SF Bay. It's a sturdy boat that I think was bought for around $5K a number of years ago, but I would not say it's fast. It could be a good deal, like all boats of a certain vintage, that wholly depends on how it has been maintained over the years. There's a lot of info on the boats and they were made for California conditions (hence the Cal name), so it can handle most things you throw its way, but it's my understanding there is a bigger fleet of them in SoCal, which are rigged for lighter winds. Of course, the first thing you'll probably want to do is put new rigging up -- it's not a happy day if the mast should come down. Check fore deck conditions carefully. They have deck-stepped masts and can get squishy there. Just PM me if you have specific questions and I can inquire with my friend. I would not however, spend more than half the cost on the boat to haul it across country. Seems like there should be decent sub $5K boats all over the place.

·
Captain Obvious
2,433 Posts
First of all -is that Goldie Hawn pic legit????? Wow.

Second, although it does look good, when you go look at it think about the $3000 for summer dockage. Same rate as a brand new boat.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There is a difference between the cost to buy a boat and the cost of owning a boat. All the issues being discussed here are just normal maintenance issues that you would have regardless of which boat you bought, or how much you paid.

All boats will need their standing rigging replaced every few years.

All boats will need frayed lines replaced. All boats will need hardware re-bedded eventually. Sails have to be replaced, and bottoms have to be done.

That's all just the cost of owning a boat- any boat.

There's no such thing as a $3K, $10K, $100K... sailaway boat

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
First of all -is that Goldie Hawn pic legit????? Wow.

Second, although it does look good, when you go look at it think about the $3000 for summer dockage. Same rate as a brand new boat.
Holy crap are you sure 3k for summer mooring glad I'm on the west coast 3k would cover a full year in my moorage for that 27 ft cal including the meter power are you sure o that moorin price also wouldn't matter what boat you d mooraage is cost of ownership cant be put with cost of purchase of the boat in question. (3k WOW)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Holy crap are you sure 3k for summer mooring glad I'm on the west coast 3k would cover a full year in my moorage for that 27 ft cal including the meter power are you sure o that moorin price also wouldn't matter what boat you d mooraage is cost of ownership cant be put with cost of purchase of the boat in question. (3k WOW)
Bremerton's marina is VERY bargain-oriented. A while back, they were offering two year's mooring for the price of one year, if paid up front. That same $3000 will get you 4-6 months of mooring in someplace two miles from the nearest laundry in northern CA, and about three months in southern CA. I've half considered buying ANY boat and parking it there just to make sure I've got a spot when I move west in a few years.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Bremerton's marina is VERY bargain-oriented. A while back, they were offering two year's mooring for the price of one year, if paid up front. That same $3000 will get you 4-6 months of mooring in someplace two miles from the nearest laundry in northern CA, and about three months in southern CA. I've half considered buying ANY boat and parking it there just to make sure I've got a spot when I move west in a few years.
Heck Foss harbor in Tacoma a private moorage is only $9.50 a foot for a 40 ft slip and small boats not needing power are only $6.97 a foot and that price includes all taxes Slip Rental | Foss Harbor Marina in Tacoma, Washington also there are plenty of slips so no need to pre park

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
... That same $3000 will get you 4-6 months of mooring in someplace two miles from the nearest laundry in northern CA, and about three months in southern CA. I've half considered buying ANY boat and parking it there just to make sure I've got a spot when I move west in a few years.
Some places are certainly that expensive, but I imagine that you can find over-priced moorage for you boat just about anywhere if you look hard enough. We pay about $3700/year to keep a 27' boat in a slip in SoCal. Water and WiFi included, electric is extra (but never amounts to much). Shore-side bathrooms, showers, and laundry. Many places are quite a bit cheaper, particularly in LA/Long Beach Harbor.

However, the points some have made about the initial investment in a boat verses the actual cost of ownership are quite valid. No matter where you keep a boat it will still cost a substantial fraction of the purchase price (if not more than the purchase price) to keep her there. It will also cost a fair fraction of the purchase price to keep her in usable condition, more to keep her in "Bristol" condition. Everything adds up. With slip fees, hull cleaning, regular maintenance, occasional bigger ticket items (sails, standing rigging, etc.), insurance, and everything else, whether you spend $2k, $8k, or $30k on an older boat won't make a huge difference to your total expenditures after a few years.

If you like the boat, cut the best deal that you can, and then get ready to start writing lots of checks. That made sound jaded, but it is how it is.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have sailed many times with my friend on his 2-27. I think it is a solid boat and @ his club the racers were sad that he bought it and did not race it because it was known as a fast boat. He has put more $ into it than he paid for it but it shows with new cushions, bimini, new fuel tankand stove.
He is 6'2" and one of their criteria was that he be able to stand up when below deck.
His has a Farymann Diesel, 1 cylinder, nicknamed Thumper. It has always started except one weekend when we were bashing our way home directly by the Toronto Islands and it quit. Fuel fileters: check. Fuel :Check. Turns out our bashing had loosened some caulking inside the fuel tank and it was sucked up into the fuel line.

Unfortunately they have decided that 2015 will be their last year of sailing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626895183672/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.