SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Does anyone have an experience with early 80's model CAL 31s? Looking at one as a potential liveaboard coastal cruiser that I could get into relatively cheaply. Based on what I have read they seem to have a good mix of sailing performance and interior layout that appeal to me.

Are there any major red flag issues with this particular model that I should be on the lookout for when searching for one?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

·
Administrator
9,250 Posts
The hull deck joint and rudder should be checked carefully and you want a tiller model rather than a wheel. Otherwise its the typical old boat stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff_H! Could you elaborate more on the tiller vs wheel? Is this a concern for this boat model, or more of a preference?

·
bell ringer
4,889 Posts
I have experience with Cal-34 of that era and as owner of a Cal-39. You know what that means to your question? ............................ Not a freaking thing!!! Nothing matters other than the current condition of the boat you are considering!

·
Administrator
9,250 Posts
It is a concern for this model. There are boats whose handling pattern neither benefits nor are hampered by a wheel. This is not one of those. These boats have a pretty precise steering and the type of cable and chain wheel steering system that would normally be installed on one of these makes it hard to hold a straight course.
Jeff

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
There was one in my club and I know the ex-owner well. Decent boat. His major complaint was the small cockpit due to the pinched stern, typical of many boats of that era influenced by the IOR racing rule.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts