SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

I am new to the forum. I purchased a Cal 31 last year and love it. I want to set up the boat for short handed sailing and with the asymmetrical cabin top am a bit overwhelmed on how to route everything back to cockpit.

Has anyone attempted this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a Cal 30 which also has an assymetrical cabin top. While my boat doesn't have controls to the cockpit now, I've looked at it for a future project and may be able to help.

First: What all do you need to bring back? If it is only the halyard for a hanked-on jib and the main sail, a single-line clutch and winch on port (jib) and starboard (main), along with a couple of turning blocks at the base of the mast and deck fairleads or deck organizers or flat cheek blocks to rurn lines for a straight shot back to the clutches/winches and associated halyards will be all you need.

If you want to control a spinnaker or reacher and reefing lines, you'll need to work out the details and add more hardware with either more capacity in rope clutches or cam cleats for some lines.

The trick with any combination of hardware or lines is to have the placement of the components make the transition from the vertical coming down from the mast to the horizontal into the rope clutch (and on to winch) be as smooth and straight as possible. Aligning all of the components so that there is no side loads on any of the blocks, fairleads or organizers is very important.

Needless to say, this stuff does not come cheap so look hard at whether everything needs to come back to the cockpit or not. Reefing set ups are a prime example of something that can end up with lots of friction and complexity and might be left since they require vertical to horizontal to vertical to horizontal and plenty of direction changes as well.

You will also need to consider the access to mounting all of the deck mounted hardware and importance of sealing every hole through the cabin top properly. The actual installation won't be hard, but proper planning is very important.

Here are a few of the components you will need. As to the winches, you may be able to move from your mast.

Murph
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts