SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year of research/shopping I've decided to get a Cal 34 as a liveaboard cruiser, now I have to decide on the layout. I was hoping to get some positive and negative comments about the two Cal 34 layouts.

The first has two quarter berths, a smaller table with a u-shaped bench seat, and a liner galley running down the starboard. The second has one quarter berth to starboard with a small nav station, a u-shaped galley to port, and a larger folder up table with much more seating.

With the first layout, I like the two quarter berths to store surfboards and to allow additional sleeping. On the second layout, I like the large port aft storage space. What other positives and negatives are there with the two layouts.

Thanks!

·
Baybilly
74 Posts
SS,

I have a '76 Cal 34 MK III with the latter layout (U-shaped galley to port).
I've found that the quarter berth ends up being a garage for junk and is not really usable for sleeping anyway. One thing I really love is that the port settee converts into a (true) queen sized berth when the table is folded down. This is mostly where we sleep on all but the hottest nights when the V-berth provides better ventilation. I've never been aboard a Cal with the older layout, so I can't speak to that -- but I've been very happy with my version and find it excellent for cruising the Chesapeake.

S.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts