SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with a Cal 35? Still trying to find a boat reasonable that'll sail anywhere in the Caribbean for a liveaboard and maybe beyond. I've read some postings on other sites that say it's a coastal curiser but then I find a web page of a couple sailing all over the Pacific in their 1970 35. Another couple thats cruising the Caribbean in theirs. I like the way they're laid out and I love the price. I have been finding them with anywhere from a 120 to 160 gallons of fuel capacity and 50 to 80 gallons of water. I'm really liking what I'm seeing and reading so far. I have found other sites that refer to them as "serious cruisers". I would appreciate anyones input. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
lived on a smaller cal back in the late 70's ...lay out is decent and quality is good to better than others of that time. 39 should be pretty fast as well. Solid built, many on the great lakes and as you noticed out sailing around. Your skill and systems will make the boat near coastal or beyond. Great coastal boat and been around for a while...

dave

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
I looked at two Cal 36's this spring and both had what I would consider major rudder issues. Each rudder showed deep cracking and structural damage. After a bit of research, I found that Foss Foam has the original Cal rudder moulds and an make on for about $2k. Check the rudder carefully.

From what I saw, the 1970's Cals appear to be fast for their vintage and decently put together. However, the cabins are quite spartan. Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts