SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing either a Caliber 33 or an IP31 (or maybe a Caliber 35 or an IP32, but budget is ideally <$60K, and we want an excellent condition boat, no time to fix her up!).
The V berth size is important to us, and we find the IP31 is a little tight (I'm only 5'10", but its difficult to lie full length), is the Caliber 33 any longer, I cant find one for sale locally to check it out?
Also, I know about the chainplate problems the IP's can have, is this a non issue for the Caliber, or is the problem also present in the Calibers of similar age (late 80's early 90's).
Finally, do Calibers suffer from spongy decks, due to the inferior plywood based construction, comparative to the IP deck construction.
I'm very impressed with the overall quality of an IP, but know the downside is, it doesn't sail quite as well into wind as a Caliber (however, after all, we are sailing, and in no hurry, so not a big issue).
We are cruisers not racers, and only intend to spend weekends and maybe the odd 2 week trip on whichever boat we choose.
All inputs are welcome, thanks.

·
19,489 Posts
While I can't address your questions about the berth sizes, as far as the various 'issues' you mention... I think it's safe to say that ANY boat of that vintage, depending on use/abuse, upkeep or lack thereof, area of use, etc might suffer problems in those areas. That's why you survey any and all boats in the hope of detecting and avoiding those kinds of negatives pre-purchase.

Also, I wouldn't overly minimize the downside of a 'slow' boat. Whether by design or mishandling a slow boat can easily take an hour or two longer to make the same daytrip as another.. that can be critical in finding a decent anchorage, the last available slip at a marina, or the last mooring buoy. This is especially true when cruising in busy areas and heading for popular(sheltered) destinations.

And finally at this stage I think you may be doing yourself a disservice by focusing only on these two brands. Keep an open mind and get onto as many different boats as you can - shopping is inexpensive. For me the Calibers would win hands down (of those two) but there are others that will fill the bill too.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
You have chosen two very different boats! The Caliber is going to be the better sailor by a long shot, likely more comfortable motion, and better build quality. We had a member here who had a blog about their Caliber but I don't think they are active anymore and Thiers was bigger.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts