SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of a 1978 Mirage 27 (Schmidt) design. I'm looking for a few options for cabin and cockpit tables. Also, I'm interested to see what other modifications people have made to improve storage, form, or function. She's set up for single handing and needs a few pieces of new rigging that I am ordering from my rigger this weekend. My main concerned is squeezing as much space out of her as possible as I am cruising with kids and will have all berths filled. Any pics/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello, have a 1980 Perry 27 hull #323. sailing out of Halifax Nova Scotia. mine is pretty much as per stock set up with few refinements for cruising. will take some pics of inside and pm you.

·
Registered
830 Posts
fold-down table set to the head bulkhead, w/storage inside the cabinet. Singling, you'll hardly need toflipitout todouble-size. The rest makes book, booze shelves. Behindtthe table(up) is good forcharts, glassware, flatscreen

I havvashot of mine in my. albums. can'tlinkfrom phone

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My table has been replaced. Can you send me a link to your album or PM me a pic showing the table you have installed? I am working on a new table for the cockpit and would like it to double as a table for down below.

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine is 1980 with many upgrades, paid 10K cdn about 3 years ago. where is this, what upgrades and what kind of shape? do you have the survey and what if anything are they suggesting wrong with it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
mine is 1980, hull 323, auto pilot, 2 burner propane stove and heater, full instrumentation with repeater in cockpit, came with 7 sails (2 spinnakers), self tailing winches, anchor, swim platform, pressure water, 3 batteries, Yanmar diesel (re-powered at some point as original was saildrive), wheel steering, all cushions including cockpit, bimini and sides for cockpit, electric cooler, vhf radio, stereo, all lights changed to LED bulbs and/or fixtures. since purchase have added 8'dingy, extra LED lights throughout cabin, holding tank with Y valve to make me legal, steel cradle. Depending what $8000 cdn gets you, as long as hull and deck in good shape, sail inventory, what works and what doesn't.................................??

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's got 2 marine batteries, two redundant gps systems, solar trickle charge, extra battery charger vhf, and a hand held unit that does all the vhf does and more. Main, Genoa, spinnaker. 4 anchors, a cradle, deck box, head, electric water pump for sink, stove. Self furling for Genoa. Helm steering with. Wheel . 2 electric bilge pumps. Atomic 4 in great shape. Was maintained over the years. Some of the engine was rebuilt in 2010. Bimini, led tv and blue ray, icebox, cushions in good condition. Auto helm. It's in the water at port Stanley Ontario.

I want to have it pulled for a survey. The last one was done In 2014, and there wasn't much wrong with it. Some problems with the stantions which seem fine to me. Some reporting about possible de lamination on the rudder...this was all taken care of though I believe. The current owner has had it for 3 years and loves it. Has to sell because of divorce. Has had minor problems and fixed them along the way. The hull and bilge is bone dry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it called "sunkist"? if it is, i read the scope of it and looks real good. The gear as described sounds good, expect some replacements as you start to sail because as i found, what one person thinks is ok, you may not. Coming from a safety background and my family is on the boat, I replaced a lot of rope and shackles and went through the entire electrical system. found some "extra splices" in wiring that were fixed in 30 minutes and just makes you feel a lot calmer.

I had to re-bed half the stanchions on my boat first season. Small leaks, did my deck hardware as well, small jobs but no leaks afterwards. butal tape works wonders and they haven't leaked since. My only challenge has been my stuffing box and attached stuff. Mine leaks a little more than it should and this winters project is to pull the shaft, replace the hoses and re-stuff the box to make it dryer. Last winter re did the exhaust system, and motor mounts for the yanmar diesel. not hard, just a lot of thinking before you turn a nut.

My biggest issues, not really big, but have been from previous owners who did a "fix" but it was a sham job at best and 30-60 minutes and the right stuff and it is as good as new. some people just don't get it.

Dan Faulkner, lives in North Bay, has sailed Mirages for a long time. Has a 33. He was a great source of expertise to me when i first purchased. [email protected]

I was directed to him by Robert (Bob) Perry, original designer of Mirage 27's. [email protected]. Bob is still active on Sail Anarchy website and seems to answer lots of questions I did a lot of research on my Mirage before i purchased. I sent him a copy of my survey and asked him about it. Both he and Dan said "...sight unseen, looks like a good boat...:.

I also tracked down Dick Steffen, who started and owned Mirage Boats. He directed me to a guy living in Halifax who worked the production line at Mirage. Wolfgang has a lot of knowledge.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine is 1980, hull 323, auto pilot, 2 burner propane stove and heater, full instrumentation with repeater in cockpit, came with 7 sails (2 spinnakers), self tailing winches, anchor, swim platform, pressure water, 3 batteries, Yanmar diesel (re-powered at some point as original was saildrive), wheel steering, all cushions including cockpit, bimini and sides for cockpit, electric cooler, vhf radio, stereo, all lights changed to LED bulbs and/or fixtures. since purchase have added 8'dingy, extra LED lights throughout cabin, holding tank with Y valve to make me legal, steel cradle. Depending what $8000 cdn gets you, as long as hull and deck in good shape, sail inventory, what works and what doesn't.................................??
Hi Koinonia. Do you still have the M27? I'm also in Hfx and bought a M27 late last season. Have lots of projects to do and looking forward to spring!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Koinonia. Do you still have the M27? I'm also in Hfx and bought a M27 late last season. Have lots of projects to do and looking forward to spring!
Hi Kevin, still have it and it's getting better each year. dint do much sailing last year because of covid but completed a lot of projects (rewired mast, took the hull down to gelcoat, rewired weather gear at top of mast, fixed a lot of scratches and dents) all the stuff that you look at and decide you'd rather sail than fix on a nice day. My boat is at Dartmouth YC. It's a 1980, judging by your hull number, yours must be 82 or 83? Do you have inboard diesel? mine is yanmar ysb8. Replacing the exhaust elbow this year. broke last week of season and had to run exhaust fan to get it over to be pulled out.

Where is yours? I know there were 2 for sail (kijiji) did you get the one from Shearwater or the one in Cape Breton? Mine came from Baddeck.

Ric McKinstry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - yes it was listed at Shearwater. I bought it in August and spent about a month doing work on it on the hard while longingly watching all the other kids go sailing :) The inboard engine was long since dead and I didn't feel was worth the effort or investment to fix or replace. It was already set up for an outboard, so I removed the inboard engine and bought a new outboard. That's one of my main projects this spring is rebuilding the outboard mounting since what was on it was... let's say "not very good", though it did work. I splashed it in September, mainly to move to my marina which is King's Wharf, and managed to get a bit of sailing in - we hauled out the first weekend of November. So I'm super excited to have the full season ahead, though there's lots more work to do. The boat is actually a 1981. I guess at their peak they were cranking them out pretty quickly. I believe they built about 150 or so more of them after mine before shutting it down. So far I am loving it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - yes it was listed at Shearwater. I bought it in August and spent about a month doing work on it on the hard while longingly watching all the other kids go sailing :) The inboard engine was long since dead and I didn't feel was worth the effort or investment to fix or replace. It was already set up for an outboard, so I removed the inboard engine and bought a new outboard. That's one of my main projects this spring is rebuilding the outboard mounting since what was on it was... let's say "not very good", though it did work. I splashed it in September, mainly to move to my marina which is King's Wharf, and managed to get a bit of sailing in - we hauled out the first weekend of November. So I'm super excited to have the full season ahead, though there's lots more work to do. The boat is actually a 1981. I guess at their peak they were cranking them out pretty quickly. I believe they built about 150 or so more of them after mine before shutting it down. So far I am loving it!
I had looked at that one figuring if I sold mine what kind of a price but I love mine so much...as you will get there...I am not looking for another big one. It suits us just fine, just the "admiral" and me and she doesn't like it much when it "leans" so I am usually looking for crew. It's almost set for single handed but when I go I just use the jib as it's on a furler, much easier. I have wheel steering so the cockpit is a little close but it also has auto pilot so thats a big help. Came with propane stove and heater so extends the season quite a bit. Also came with solar so even when sailing don't have to worry about power. When we get close to launching we should meet and compare. My email is [email protected] easier than going through sailnet.

How was the deck? Mine has one soft spot, very small so I am not doing anything about it unless it starts to bother. I am a member of cruisers forum Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Powered by vBulletin lots of people there with advice and have been very helpful. I always reach out especially during the winter and there's lots of worldwide participation. If you give me an email I can send pics of mine, we can compare although what I remember both boats were almost the same. I think your table in cabin was on a removable post as mine is on a hinge thats folds against the wall by the head. leaves quite a bit of room when folded. Of course the wife has lots of pillows, hahahaha and they are quite useful when at anchor. Had to do a lot of electrical fixes, just about rewired the whole boat.

Transport Public transport Machine Commercial vehicle
Transport Room Interior design Cabin Public transport
Watercraft Boat Mast Naval architecture Sailboat

So figured out how to put pics in. Lets keep in touch as there is a lot of 26's, lots of 24's, only a few 27's and some 29's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts