SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before we get into this, I readily admit that I suck at math-and geometry too! So, I need to make sure I'm doing this right. I just purchased a Laguna 22 and was going through the sails. I have them all figured out but one--freaking traingles! It is brightly colored and appears to be dacron, and I assume it is a spinnaker, but it doesn't fit any formulas I've found. The measurement of the sail in question is as follows.

Luff- 24.00'
Leech- 21.86'
Foot- 15.66'
SA= 166.99

That much I have figured out, but it doesn't fit any of the spinnaker calculations for size. These are the two formulas I have:

Asymmetrical--I x J x 1.44= 24 x 8.75 x 1.44= 302.4
Symmetrical---I x J x 1.62= 24 x 8.75 x 1.62= 340.2

What I'm wondering is, did someone wrangle this off a smaller sized boat and decide to use it on mine, or do I jsut not know what the hell I am doing?

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
There have been many variations on nylon loose luff sails that are used to reach in light winds. I'm guessing that you ended up with some variation of one of them.

Try it out and see how it works for you, but don't get too hung up on giving it a proper name.

I sold a similar sail that came with my boat and bought a more modern asymmetrical spinnaker.

·
19,489 Posts
Does it have hanks or a rope luff? In the smaller boats it wasn't all that unusual to have a genoa in coloured dacron.. Which would mean it's not a spinnaker at all.

From the dimensions it is at least asymmetrical, but if not nylon it's unlikely to be a cruising spinnaker. That would make it a genoa by the look of it, but I'd expect to see the normal headstay connections as any of your other jibs.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
It's a nighthawk-aker, a very rare custom sail. :)

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: nighthawk

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a nighthawk-aker, a very rare custom sail. :)

Regards,
Brad
Thank the Lord--I thought I was gonna have to actually purchase one of those! And they are damn expensive! HEHEHE:laugher

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it have hanks or a rope luff?
Neither--No side readily identified as a luff or leech and no installed rope. No hanks either, jsut a grommet in each of the three corners, that's what made me think it was a spinnaker. Maybe it was from a smaller boat and the PO decided that it worked on mine--I guess we'll try it out and see. I'll take it out this weekend and verify the measurements and try and put some pics up.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Lots of folks buy used spin's to try out, IMHO especially ones that are a tad undersized.

·
19,489 Posts
You stated earlier the sail was made of Dacron... did you mean to say nylon?? That would 'clinch' the spinnaker-of-some-sort debate...

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are absolutely right Faster, I misidentified the fabric in the earlier post. It appears to be a very lightweight rip-stop nylon in a variety of colors. My mistake.

·
19,489 Posts
You are absolutely right Faster, I misidentified the fabric in the earlier post. It appears to be a very lightweight rip-stop nylon in a variety of colors. My mistake.
That makes it easier.. now it's likely an Asymmetrical Cruising Spinnaker/Flasher/pick your nickname... If it had hanks then it may have been what was once called a drifter.. essentially a genoa made of ripstop, a super light wind genny for upwind work.

I remember seeing one once that was 2 ply.. ie two sails sewn on a single luff.. you tied the clews together to use it as a 'genoa' but split the clews to different sheets and could run it DDW wing-on-wing...

Anyhow, try this sail and see how it fits the boat.. with these sails the dimensions are not so critical and it may be useful to you.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Does it have a rather stiff bolt rope if so it may be what is called a screacher they are usually found on cats and tri's great for broad reaches to full downhill running its like a turbo for the boat

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No bolt rope at all--everything soft and pliable, that's what made me think spinnaker to start with. Not a double, no hank in the center, just the three corners. Blooper, spanker, screacher (ARRRGHHH)......You know that even if we do manage to properly identify it, sooner or later the Captain will designate it herself---"I think we should put the 'pretty' sail up". I guess we're jsut going to have to put some wind in it and see what it does. Thanks to everyone for the insight and quick responses though, I do really appreciate it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts