SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Sabre 42 c/b
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing 2 cam cleats for my traveler lines. I currently have cam cleats build into the blocks on the traveler and I am moving the lines aft onto the coach roof in preparation for a dodger install. Other than cosmetics are there any opinions on the value of using something the the Schafer Sure Grip Stainless Steel cam cleat ($90) vs. a Ronstan/Harken fiber type construction cam cleat ($30)?

Thanks
Foster

Automotive tire Human body Motor vehicle Rectangle Automotive design

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Font

·
Super Moderator
4,373 Posts
We had Harken cams last about thirty years on the boat we sold in June. They'll probably go for another ten or more for the new owners. $90 vs $30 gives you an idea of what cosmetics can cost.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The bottom cleat you show is a Harken carbo cleat (polymer paws). They work well, but from experience UV will get to them eventually. The other variant is the anodized aluminum paw variant which lasts much longer and IMO holds better. Note that the aluminum variants are rated higher for working load in the same size envelop. Enjoy

Carbo Cleat

Anodized Aluminum Cleat

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,410 Posts
I have used all of the options mentioned above. I have generally found the Harken/Ronstan types to work better in terms of grip, ease of cleating, and wear on the lines. Whether you use the carbo vs aluminum cleats depends on your specific location and boat. Carbo seems to do better up north, in shade, and in high salt environments. Aluminum seems to do better on frequently trimmed lines or higher load lines.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The best cam cleats are harkens at the moment. A bit pricey but worth the money.
OK, now that that is settled:

Cam cleat or Clam cleat?

I have decades-old clam cleats on my traveller that need to be replaced (teeth are worn). Should I replace them with like? Advantage would be cost (looks like they cost a fraction of cam cleats) and drop-in installation, while I would have to fabricate some kind of pedestal for the latter. No big deal (have Ipe wood available) but extra work.

One pro I can see for clam cleats is that they are probably a bit more tolerant for the exact size of the rope. Are there other advantages, and if yes, are they worth the additional cost and extra work for this application? What does the hive mind say?

Thank you

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
OK, now that that is settled:

Cam cleat or Clam cleat?

I have decades-old clam cleats on my traveller that need to be replaced (teeth are worn). Should I replace them with like? Advantage would be cost (looks like they cost a fraction of cam cleats) and drop-in installation, while I would have to fabricate some kind of pedestal for the latter. No big deal (have Ipe wood available) but extra work.

One pro I can see for clam cleats is that they are probably a bit more tolerant for the exact size of the rope. Are there other advantages, and if yes, are they worth the additional cost and extra work for this application? What does the hive mind say?

Thank you
IMO, the only good thing about clam cleats is that they slip at high load (good if it is holding a CB down, for example), which is a bad thing for most uses. (Actually, they mostly only slip if the rope is too big or wrong type.)

Change to cam cleats. Easy upgrade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts