SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
On the hard now due to covid. In prior years have had occasion where Sahara dust was so bad it created difficulties. It’s a very fine dust so did creep into winches, clutches, and any lubricated device. In spite of hatches closed most times, as well as companionway you needed to vacuum near daily to keep it out of bedding. Vacuuming worked the best as wipe downs just spread it around. Found it’s worse in the leewards then windwards. Rain didn’t help much. Need a hose to really get it off your decks. Always amazed by how much dust could travel so far just to piss me off. Oh well......

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
Normal phenomenon. Did I miss something unique or extreme about it this time?

·
Master Mariner
8,225 Posts
If someone had told us 35 years ago that the tradewind haze, as we called it, was Sahara dust, I think we would have laughed them out of existence. As it seemed to be accompanied by particularly humid conditions, we just assumed it to be moisture in the air.
But it made inter island sailing a bit of fun, when you couldn't see the island you were heading for till you were just a few miles off. Those w/o experience in the area or the 'DR navigation gene' could be set far enough west to completely miss the island and after some extra hours they'd just crank up the engine and power east until they could see an island. Any island.
But it was very satisfying to make your landfall dead on, something sailing with GPS has taken out of the equation. Sometimes I miss those days, but most of the time I'm just too old and lazy to care and I love my chartplotter as I would anything that makes my life safer, easier and more relaxed.
Pass me another cool one please......

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch
1 - 5 of 5 Posts