SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 4 of them on my boat, 1 of which is ran much heavier than the rest of the fans. All have been installed in 2019.

The one fan that I have running roughly 40% of the time in summer and 80% of the time in winter has started to show signs of failure. The company is a great company and they are shipping me a new one this coming week. It's acting like it's getting low voltage by the speed slowing down to a near crawl then ramping back up. I've checked all connections and verified its not low voltage.

The lovely CS agent on the phone this morning said "I believe the motors are a 5000 hour motor, so oyu should get many years out of these fans".

It got me thinking, if they are a 5000 hour motor, i could very well have hit this motors hour limit based on the last 16 months of operating - especially since this one is the one that circulates the hot air from our diesel heater.

How long has your fans lasted? What type of fan and usage do they see?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Good to hear about their customer service. We have four Caframo Sirocco fans - two in the vberth and two in the main cabin. We found two of them at the large consignment store in Newport, RI so I have no idea how many hours they have on them. The two we bought new don’t have nearly the amount of hours yours do, as we typically don’t run them longer than a partial day or night, but we have had all four for two or three years now (I think).

We’ve been very happy with them but some day when they die we’ll switch to the cageless Caframo fans because the caged fans are a hassle to keep clean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good to hear about their customer service. We have four Caframo Sirocco fans - two in the vberth and two in the main cabin. We found two of them at the large consignment store in Newport, RI so I have no idea how many hours they have on them. The two we bought new don’t have nearly the amount of hours yours do, as we typically don’t run them longer than a partial day or night, but we have had all four for two or three years now (I think).

We’ve been very happy with them but some day when they die we’ll switch to the cageless Caframo fans because the caged fans are a hassle to keep clean.
I've got 4 of them on my boat, 1 of which is ran much heavier than the rest of the fans. All have been installed in 2019.

The one fan that I have running roughly 40% of the time in summer and 80% of the time in winter has started to show signs of failure. The company is a great company and they are shipping me a new one this coming week. It's acting like it's getting low voltage by the speed slowing down to a near crawl then ramping back up. I've checked all connections and verified its not low voltage.

The lovely CS agent on the phone this morning said "I believe the motors are a 5000 hour motor, so oyu should get many years out of these fans".

It got me thinking, if they are a 5000 hour motor, i could very well have hit this motors hour limit based on the last 16 months of operating - especially since this one is the one that circulates the hot air from our diesel heater.

How long has your fans lasted? What type of fan and usage do they see?
Captain Rick Moore is a YouTube guy that has reviewed these fans and others. You could search for the episode. It was pretty informative. I understand that with heavy use, they do not last long. We have one on our boat, new this year, we will see.

·
Master Mariner
8,770 Posts
I've got one that runs about 10 hours a night on average and it's over 4 years old. All we do is clean the blades often.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts