SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a new prop as I am moving to a slip (from a mooring) which will require a good reverse. I now have a Gori folding prop that is essentially worthless in reverse in terms of any directional control. I don't race but like that my boat performs well under sail. A new 3 blade Campbell is about 60% of the cost of a reconditioned 2 blade Max-Prop. I know the Max-Prop will be more efficient through the water under sail, but I don't know if there is a substantive difference between the two. Additionally, the Campbell can be fitted without a haulout. When I had a fixed conventional 2 blade prop and switched to the Gori, I picked up 1/2 knot at 6 knots of speed. I'm not crazy about giving that up.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Regards,
Ron

·
19,488 Posts
We've had both.. a Campbell on our last boat (3 blade) and a 3 blade Max on the current boat.

Same engine both instances but the Campbell was on a bigger (40 ft vs 35) boat.

While the Campbell was a big improvement on the 'floppy worn out folder' we had previously, the increase in drag was noticeable but reverse was pretty good/much better than folder.

Campbell to Max in reverse is night and day. The Max is a joy to use in reverse, smooth in forward (as was the Campbell) and clean under sail.

FWIW I think you'll be happy to have spent the extra money at the end of the day. The support/service of PYI is very good too.. but WestbyNorth is a great outfit to deal with as well..

Reactions: jrd22 and T37Chef

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I was going to mention this previously, but since you brought it up...

When I changed from my two-bladed fixed prop to a 3-bladed Max Prop, my backing performance didn't seem to change noticeably..

I still have prop walk, but it doesn't seem to be much different, and backing power was and is plenty..

(36 foot 14,000 lb boat)

Go figure

·
19,488 Posts
David.. on this boat we went from 2 blade fixed to 3 blade Max too.. I notice less propwalk and more immediate reverse way at idle/in gear than the old fixed prop. If you 'goose it' in reverse I'd agree there's not much difference - in both response and propwalk.

I'm happy, btw, that the Max has not eliminated propwalk as some claim.. I like it and use it often.

·
Master Mariner
8,986 Posts
If you go with the Campbell, are you going to need a shaft brake, or are you going to let the prop freewheel?
I think the MaxProp is the way to go today. I tried several of the folding props over the years, and every one came up far short of a reliable propeller system. The mechanical feathering props are far superior in design and function.
I don't see why anyone would consider a fixed prop today, unless they had a motor vessel.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I am in need of a new prop as I am moving to a slip (from a mooring) which will require a good reverse. I now have a Gori folding prop that is essentially worthless in reverse in terms of any directional control. I don't race but like that my boat performs well under sail. A new 3 blade Campbell is about 60% of the cost of a reconditioned 2 blade Max-Prop. I know the Max-Prop will be more efficient through the water under sail, but I don't know if there is a substantive difference between the two. Additionally, the Campbell can be fitted without a haulout. When I had a fixed conventional 2 blade prop and switched to the Gori, I picked up 1/2 knot at 6 knots of speed. I'm not crazy about giving that up.

I had a Campbell Sailor 3-blade and now have a 3-blade feathering prop. I've also had a conventional (Michigan Sailor) 2-blade prop on the same boat.

The reduction in drag while sailing with the feathering prop is huge, especially in light air. For me it is the difference between sailing in 5-8 knots and motoring when cruising. The feathering prop allows me to do a lot more sailing in our light-air summers.

A CS 3-blade has about the same drag as a conventional 2-blade. The blade surface is a little smaller, but it isn't a huge reduction.

My feathering prop is a Featherstream (made by Darglow) and it was installed while the boat was in the water by a friend. I've also installed a Max-Prop, this was significantly less work because the blade is assembled first and then installed. The 3-blade Featherstream was only slightly more than a 2-blade Max-Prop, and considerably cheaper than a 3-blade MaxProp.

Reverse is very good on the Featherstream (just like a Max-Prop). My boat still has a little prop-walk, but it seems to be reduced from the Campbell Sailor. I can't say for sure because I also changed my rudder locks at the same point and have more rudder control now then when I had the CS.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I don't see why anyone would consider a fixed prop today, unless they had a motor vessel.
Expense. Vibration. I've never been able to get any non-fixed prop to run as smoothly as a fixed.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts

Regards,
Ron
Hey Ron,

Here's my take on the Campbell Sailer from a similar thread a few weeks ago...

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/2155105-post12.html

bottom line, it's a nice prop in flat water, and for maneuvering, but don't expect it to work wonders punching thru a significant chop, or into a stiff headwind... Of course, I wouldn't expect that from a 2-blade Max-Prop, either...

As for drag under sail, I can't really quantify that... Certainly hasn't seemed excessive to me, I had a lot of light air sailing this summer, yet still seemed to manage some pretty decent passage times...

·
Master Mariner
8,986 Posts
Expense. Vibration. I've never been able to get any non-fixed prop to run as smoothly as a fixed.
Seeing as we actually sail our sailboat, we hardly ever have any vibration. :)
2500 miles of inter-island sailing last year and less than 20 hours under power.

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,326 Posts
I'll 2nd West by North, great service

We have a feathering Autostream prop, without anything else to compare it too I must say I like it very much, came with the boat when we purchased it almost 10 years ago. Only vibration i have had was poor alignment or marine growth, not the prop in my experience. Folding prop perhaps another story.

Been looking at the Campbell Sailor but got some negative feedback. Thinking I'll stay with the feathering Autostream.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I am very happy with my Max Prop, and the great support I get from PYI. Like Faster, I also find my prop walk handy

·
Registered
724 Posts
Seems like everyone else has it covered, but I will join the chorus.

We have been very pleased with our max prop. I have never had a fixed prop, so I can't speak to the exact question, but the performance in reverse compared to our old folder is nothing short of amazing. And as fstbttm noted, it doesn't require haul-out. Ours needed some service at 10 years of age. It was removed by a diver, restored to like-new condition by PYI, and reinstalled by a diver (all in the dead of winter... thanks diver!).

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Have 3 blade max prop on current and last three boats. Some considerations:
Some engines like some props and others not so much. For instance the four blade max may have issues with a yanmar 75 but the 3 and 5 not. The maxs performance is very sensitive to pitch setting but this can be adjusted in the water. Good to know what rpm is your best for economy/speed and experiment a bit using manufactures support for guidance. Also knowing permitted demensions will influence your purchase. Get pro guidance as this is a big ticket idem.
Went with the 3 instead of 4 or 5 as seems tried and true. No question max gives great economy ( have compared with sistership with fixed) and very low drag. Practical Sailor had a spread on props and David Gerr is another resource. He seems to be the prop guru.
If you are going to hang on to the boat with the price of fuel the expense will wash out. We have rule that the engine goes on at 5kts. So that decrease in drag means much less engine time.
With throttle bursts get prop walk. If slowly lean on throttle get very little walk. Reverse is as strong as forward. When sailing with engine off leave in reverse and NO shaft rotation.

·
Registered
960 Posts
We have a feathering Autostream prop, without anything else to compare it too I must say I like it very much, came with the boat when we purchased it almost 10 years ago. Only vibration i have had was poor alignment or marine growth, not the prop in my experience. Folding prop perhaps another story.
Our boat had an Autostream when we sea trialed her. The vibration was so bad it almost made our teeth rattle out. The prop was not fouled. There was a spare 3-blade fixed prop in the lazarette so we had the seller reinstall it and things smoothed right out. I still have the Autostream in my basement and have arranged with Martec Engineering (US distributor for Autostream) to drop it off to them at the boat show to take back to Long Beach for a rebuild. I'm hoping this resolves the issues.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts