SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening at the family get together at the in-laws the conversation started to drift toward the boats we own (my collection). The wine was flowing freely and we were picking on each other with great abandon.

Loads of fun.

I sprung it on the wife that i think i'll plant the 40 footer right off the deck buried up to the waterline, with blue stone surrounding the boat, so that i have a nice retirement home. This way i won't miss the boat when I'm to old to sail.

Nice and secure, stable and close by.

Give me a place to tinker in my old age and raise the sails up and down at will!

This way i can get away from the wife when she starts to nag. ( Keep in mind that this conversation was in fun. )

The rest of my family and in-laws have no clue how to sail. They have RV's so they could really appreciate this conversation. It got worse when it was mentioned that we would have to install a wood stove.

Wish u-all were there for the merriment that went on for several hours. One of our best Christmas eve episodes ever.

The wife is off to bed, to much proseco,,, we will see in the morning....

Merry Christmas all

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Retirement? What's retirement? My wife said I can retire, but I have to be dead for at least three days. Around here it will be like "Weekend At Bernie's." I can't retire. I have music jobs booked till 2015, which is when I hope to be the oldest person to travel the ICW singlehanded.

Great story, though,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My sympathy to the Realtor that has to list the home after you and the missus vacate it for whatever reason. I can hear the buyer's comments now.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Actually since seein the Kirk Douglas movie as a kid that's been the way I want to go. Think it would be a crime to burn the outbound so would do it in a wood 12 1/2 and not be a hazard to navigation. Have a patient who owns a funeral home who told me it would be highly illegal. Figure thet can't sue me or jail my corpse so judgement proof except for The Lord. If wife singles the outbound past the 12 m limit with loved ones and friends aboard figure no one can go after her.
Always good to be the man with a plan.
Go celebrate birth not death today.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
When we sold the sailing business this fall we gave up the name.to the new owner. As tomorrow is the 1st anniversary of my sudden demise and recovery we named our numbered company End of Life charters . Sort of a euthanasia spa and boutique .Selling franchises on the concept.

·
3,506 Posts
When we sold the sailing business this fall we gave up the name.to the new owner. As tomorrow is the 1st anniversary of my sudden demise and recovery we named our numbered company End of Life charters . Sort of a euthanasia spa and boutique .Selling franchises on the concept.
Another sort of business is already operating at the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club, also known as "God's Waiting Room." Where many cruisers spend their final days....

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Looking at how cheap the boats are these days, it might be cheaper to bury an old boat then to build a cabin... and quite easy to go off the grid as well. Heck, you could create an entire retirement community (boat 'trailer park') on cheap land not too far from the coast.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Actually since seein the Kirk Douglas movie as a kid that's been the way I want to go. Think it would be a crime to burn the outbound so would do it in a wood 12 1/2 and not be a hazard to navigation. Have a patient who owns a funeral home who told me it would be highly illegal. Figure thet can't sue me or jail my corpse so judgement proof except for The Lord. If wife singles the outbound past the 12 m limit with loved ones and friends aboard figure no one can go after her.
Always good to be the man with a plan.
Go celebrate birth not death today.

Not illegal for cremated remains. (I get full military burial at sea) as far as your corpse only illegal if you get caught. (So tell her don't get caught):laugher:D

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Some of my charter bizz involved families and ashes. One of the best methods included a favourite hat as the receptacle for the ashes(with a stone ,,delayed action sinker) Throw flowers, raise genoa ,leave quietly. I personally gave considerable thought to a Viking sendoff but decided to remain undecided . The last time I saws the light I found it an unpleasant experience.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My b-i-l said he knew of a boat that was buried in the ground, or, had heard of such. My question is, would you have to build some sort of a foundation around the boat? You can't just dig a hole and stick a boat in it, without the walls eventually caving in, can you?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My sympathy to the Realtor that has to list the home after you and the missus vacate it for whatever reason. I can hear the buyer's comments now.
Advertise it as climate-change-proof -- when the polar ices melt and those extra-high tides start turning everywhere into Waterworld, stock your boat & wait for it to pop out of the ground like a pool in a hurricane. :D

Reactions: Seaduction

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
You're too old to sail when you've just chopped down the mainmast to feed the wood stove, and your wife reminds you that aluminum requires special tinder before you can light it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts