SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to cook in and/or sleep in a sailboat that is on it's trailer?

This question popped into my head when I was tent camping near a beach (Lawson's Landing, a campground behind sandunes withing walking distance to the water), with my trailered skiboat parked as a windbreak. Could I tow a sailboat on a trailer, and use it as a makeshift camper to sleep and cook in? I would sail it during the day. That way I would only have to tow one vehicle to the beach campground.

I am wondering if there will be harm to the hull of the boat, because the trailer puts different stresses on the hull then when it is in the water. The sailboat that I am thinking about doing this to is a 1981 Capital Yacht Neptune 24.

Thank You.

·
19,489 Posts
I think as long as you don't do calisthenics in the morning you'd be OK..

Friends trailered a F-25C tri to Florida to go to the Bahamas a few years back, with that plan - sleeping in the boat on the way down. Worked fine until they ran into an RV park that wouldn't permit it..go figure.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
It's possible if the trailer is fastened to a car... my Wayfarer trailerable would tip over backwards if I stood at the stern and the trailer wasn't hitched to the car. It's a simple matter of overcoming the tongue weight....which apparently I do.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yes, it is. There is a fellow and his wife on another forum that have done many times as they travel from one south wet lake to another. Balance and rolling would be the problems to overcome.

·
Learning a bit every day
214 Posts
Yes, of course. Done it on mine even without the trailer being hitched onto the car. I always put wedges (or a block of wood) behind the wheels. Only have done it on hard on the marina which itself was fenced in. Wouldn't do it by the roadside, as I can't lock the companionway hatch from the inside.

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
I do it quite often...My boat is a little bigger and I leave it at the Marina mast up on the trailer a couple hours away from home...

Sometimes if I get up late on Friday I'll just "camp" on the hard and launch the next morning... Also been known to just camp out the weekend at the marina if weather not condusive to sailing...

When I brought the boat home to Wisconsin from Washington DC I used it as a camper on the road trip...

Reactions: bljones

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Did this many times when I had my Jaguar 22 [Catalina copy]. As other have said keep it coupled up to avoid tilting.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
It's possible if the trailer is fastened to a car... my Wayfarer trailerable would tip over backwards if I stood at the stern and the trailer wasn't hitched to the car. It's a simple matter of overcoming the tongue weight....which apparently I do.
Unless you are a really big person it sounds like you may need a little bit more tongue weight. I think some trailer mfrs recommend about 10 to 15% of the total trailer weight be on the tongue. But, if it doesn't sway in cross winds or under braking, so be it.

Paul T

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I think I'd invest in a set of wheel chocks and jackstands or RV levelers and make sure the trailer was firmly braced before hopping aboard for the night. That's a cheap way to make sure there aren't any unpleasant surprises.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is it possible to cook in and/or sleep in a sailboat that is on it's trailer?

Thank You.
Sure. I read this book quite a while back:Sailing America: A Trailer Sailor's Guide to North America: Lawrence W. Brown: 9780915160969: Amazon.com: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@71r6cTb7dYL and he did it with a 15 foot boat, his wife, and two daughters.

It's full of practical advice, like do you and your wife sleep in the boat with kids in the car, or sleep in the car and put the kids in the boat. Something about rocking the boat lead him to decide one of the two was best, but I forgot which way it goes.

GJ

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've done it in 3 different boats. My 22' Southcoast, my 16' AMF Sunbird and in my present 23.5' Hunter. They do get looks when you pull into a campground and there is no lake around. LOL.

Kevin

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've done it in a roadside pull-off with a fixed keel Catalina 25. Used a step ladder to get aboard, then pulled the ladder up and stored it in the cockpit at night (Anastazi cliff dwelling style). Worked great, had a two burner stove, ice box, porta-potty, running water.......all the comforts of home.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I've done it in a roadside pull-off with a fixed keel Catalina 25. Used a step ladder to get aboard, then pulled the ladder up and stored it in the cockpit at night (Anastazi cliff dwelling style). Worked great, had a two burner stove, ice box, porta-potty, running water.......all the comforts of home.
I've heard of people doing this while driving cross country in boats like mine, a Nor'sea 27. I read one couple say they did it during the summer where they slept in the cockpit and during the night, people would stop by and talk about how it would be nice to do someday.

If I was driving long distance with my boat, I would pull off to a rest stop and spend the night in the boat to keep from having to spend too much on hotels.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
I've done this very thing a few times when my boat was kept in drydock, as far as stress I trailered mine for a couple of years and would have to climb all over her while on the trailer to step and lower the mast, get her rigged, etc. and then load everything on to her for going out for a day. One thing
I would do though is make screens for the hatches or have mosquito net to cover from fore hatch to back of cockpit and have a fan to run off 12 volt system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Absolutely...did that from Vancouver BC to Toronto Ontario without any problems have a 29ft. trailer tandem with a 24 ft Roberts, Great time, used the local "Husky Truck Stations" for showering and they make great breakfasts too, that was a memory for sure. took 5 days in total.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts