SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought a pocket cruiser for use in the Solent (and maybe further afield!!). Having spent the winter getting her a bit more sea worthy, time has run out and I'm leaving all the jobs I haven't finished and launching her in the next few weeks! Can't wait!!

Can anybody identify this type of boat? She's about 16ft long, GRP simulated clinker, triple keeled (see photo!)

I'm worried that the rig setup doesn't have a backstay, what do you think??

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If the rig never had a backstay, then I would assume the rig was design to function without a back stay.

Is the mast deck stepped on a tabernacle.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,002 Posts
Am I supposed to see triple keels in that picture? I'd love a better picture, sounds neat. I can't help you identify the boat though.

Looks like swept spreaders, and the shrouds/lowers are well aft, judging by the boom length the boat was never designed with a backstay.
3 point rigs are common on smaller trailerables... the reduced complexity make trailering easier (think about it, leave the uppers and lowers connected for trailering, at the dock stand the rig up, connect the forestay, and you are done).

Even my S2 is basically a 3 point rig like that. I have a backstay, but it's not needed to sail the boat, its actually a forestay tensioner. Ok it does induce some bend. It does help to hold the stick up for DDW I guess, but most of that is already covered by the shrouds, and lowers, its really just a safety.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
Thanks for your responses! Sorry about the picture quality, I'll take some new ones of it out of the water (she's currently on the driveway annoying my wife!!).

Ulladh- it's stepped on a tabernacle on the deck. Just finished fixing tabernacle onto a new plate, the previous owner's set up didn't fill me with confidence (6mm bolts and no plate!)

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Whoever put the boat on this trailer deserves a lot of credit (translation: beer).

·
19,489 Posts
Sailboatdata doesn't list any Islanders under 21 feet; so that may be unlikely... Can't say what it is except it's kinda cute..

Reactions: Islander123

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha! Yeah it was a game getting on the trailer (it fell off once, oops!)

I think she'll be great for short passages, based in Cowes in the UK so lots of places to try her out this summer!

I think she might be a one off, can't find any other similar boats online, the glassing looks good and thick, so hopefully she's got a few more years in her!!

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
You may want to redesign that trailer to make loading and securing your boat easier. And if you hit a bump on the road, the boat might get off the tracks and get seriously damaged.
As to the boat ID. Maybe it is a Lysander, not Islander: LYSANDER sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
there were many variants of that boat, some with 3 keels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, you're right about the trailer.

It does look a lot like some of the pictures of Lysander, they seem to have been home-built so maybe mine is an 'interpretation' of the plans!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts