·
Registered
2,958 Posts
not a Colgate no life lines Marlow Hunter 22

Reactions: Arcb

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Seems about right. If you are looking for a boat like that the Colgate 26 is a great boat

·
Freedom isn't free
2,971 Posts
Insulting to the Colgate, definitely a Hunter. Colgates are fun little boats, typically setup with symmetrical spins too.
I get it. the small boat, open transom gets people going.

Here is the Colgate 26

Here is the Marlow Hunter 22

Here is a fast cow (Wavelength 24) Also open transom also rates 162.

·
Master Mariner
8,539 Posts
Since the Colgate 26 was specifically designed for the OSS which teaches ASA, why would they use a picture of anything other than a C-26? I'm not saying I'm right, but just wondering. I know Hunter used to give OSS boats for teaching on, but all the small ones were C-26es.

Reactions: jb cruzan

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's a Hunter 216 (or a 212 if it has a window--I can't tell). They don't make them anymore. They discontinued that model when they couldn't stop the cracking of the solid cabin top--the whole boat was made out of ABS plastic with foam layer. The newer Hunters and the Marlow boats are back to fiberglass.

·
Registered
Catalina 309; O'Day DS-II; various kayaks & beach toys
18 Posts
Since the Colgate 26 was specifically designed for the OSS which teaches ASA, why would they use a picture of anything other than a C-26? I'm not saying I'm right, but just wondering. I know Hunter used to give OSS boats for teaching on, but all the small ones were C-26es.
Back about 5th grade +/- I realized that the photo on the back of my cereal box showed a competitor's product as a "serving suggestion" or some such. I wrote to them to ask what for and they thanked me and sent me dozens (at least) of coupons for free boxes of my cereal. Front side was the right product. Stock photo on the back of the box put together by an advertising company...no one noticed!

A Colgate 26 has enough room behind the tiller for an instructor to stand and be out of the way / operate the outboard while the student steers. And lifelines. Seeing that in these photos might be tough...

If you have an actual copy of the book, the front cover photo is large enough that you can read "Hunter 216" on the port side stern, just above the water / below the end of the black traveller. (The 216 part is below the cleat.) Also, you can see the guy in the pink shirt is steering with the lifted up swim ladder. Actually that "swim ladder" is the tiller on an H-216!

·
Master Mariner
8,539 Posts
Back about 5th grade +/- I realized that the photo on the back of my cereal box showed a competitor's product as a "serving suggestion" or some such. I wrote to them to ask what for and they thanked me and sent me dozens (at least) of coupons for free boxes of my cereal. Front side was the right product. Stock photo on the back of the box put together by an advertising company...no one noticed!

A Colgate 26 has enough room behind the tiller for an instructor to stand and be out of the way / operate the outboard while the student steers. And lifelines. Seeing that in these photos might be tough...

If you have an actual copy of the book, the front cover photo is large enough that you can read "Hunter 216" on the port side stern, just above the water / below the end of the black traveller. (The 216 part is below the cleat.) Also, you can see the guy in the pink shirt is steering with the lifted up swim ladder. Actually that "swim ladder" is the tiller on an H-216!
I just assumed it was the angle of the pic, as I've sailed and taught from astern on the C26, and it is possible that non-school boats are set up a bit differently, lifelines, etc.
I'm not arguing, just saying.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after all that it is basically a doomed boat 😅😅

So the newer, fiberglass Hunters are a decent boat? And the Colgate 26's are the real deal?

·
Master Mariner
8,539 Posts
I really liked the C-26. They had me take it out one day and asked me to fly the chute alone and I found it quite doable. Nice lil daysailer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts