SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to new boat has these rope clutches that I assume are original to the boat (1985 Helms 32). I’ve never used clutches like these and they make me a little nervous. Can anyone identify them? I’d like to explore replacing with something that hopefully has a similar bolt pattern.

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
Yep. We have the same ones on Skipping Stone. They're Schaefer Marine. Work great, simple and functional.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. We have the same ones on Skipping Stone. They're Schaefer Marine. Work great, simple and functional.
Ok I'm glad to hear that. I'm just used to something that I can feel lock in place so I was a little iffy about them. I'll experiment with them a bit more. Thanks

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
They have springs in them and in any position other than straight up, they'll stay down on the line allowing it to come in but not out. They may need lubing.

Reactions: mljohnson1

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I also had them on my previous boat. One issue is that when locked and under load, you need to tension the line to be able to release it. Can't (usually) just push forward on the lever. Otherwise simple and work just fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking I may need to check the springs in mine. I'm not at the boat now but when I was messing around with them yesterday they didn't seem to stay down on their own.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Thought the springs were non functioning on my new to me boat's Schaefer clutches. They still worked fine as long as pulled the lever down so they'd engage the line. Finally got the brilliant idea to break out the WD40 and low and behold now functioning spring locked clutches.

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
Exactly!

·
12,239 Posts
We’ve got them too....37 years later still work fine

However replaced others with Garhauer ones. Industrial looking and worked great. No more tensioning the line to release them

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We’ve got them too....37 years later still work fine

However replaced others with Garhauer ones. Industrial looking and worked great. No more tensioning the line to release them
Did the mounting holes match up with the Garhauer ones you installed?

·
12,239 Posts
No unfortunately

·
Barquito
3,505 Posts
I've got a few of those. Didn't even know they had springs. I think my springs have sprung. They are, indeed, difficult to release under pressure. This can be difficult single handed with non-tailing winches... when a storm is approaching... and your hat just fell overboard... etc.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
We replaced ours because releasing them under load ended up with the handles getting bent and/or breaking off. (We had gorillas on the midship control-adjusting team who wouldn't wait to take load up on a winch.) Holes didn't line up, but we were able to make sure the new clutches were installed properly in our balsa-cored cabin top so they stopped leaking.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have two on my boat, and I have to pull the lever down to get them to engage. I'll try the lube to see if it helps. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If anyone needs a working two line clutch with good springs, I have one for sale. Replaced with a 5 line clutch and have already sold two, just this one left. Listed on eBay at $29 under sailing hardware. Make me an offer I can't refuse.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
One of the first things I did on my last boat is replace the Schaeffer clutches. We called them "suicide clutches" because they were so difficult to release under load. Not to mention their spike-like handles sticking up waiting to impale someone!

You will never find anything with the same bolt pattern. You just have to fill the old holes and drill new. If you are lucky you may be able to cover some or all of the old holes with your new clutches.

I installed Spinlock XTS clutches, but if you don't mind the look of Garhauer they are pretty good for less money.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
12,239 Posts
Isn't Garhauer standard equipment on Catalinas?
Not sure what you mean by the “look” as they are completely Stainless steel
Heavy and solid construction
10 year warranty vs 5 for Spinlock and other clutches

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Garhauer has a very industrial look and no soft edges. they seem to hurt more when you trip over them and no not standard on Catalinas. I have gone to Ronstan Constrictor clutches on my halyards no more worn line and they do not slip

·
12,239 Posts
Yes they look robust Stainless Steel construction . I’ve had them for 8 years have not chewed up my lines

practical Sailor also rates them very highly

you are dead wrong about Catalinas relationship with Garhauer. They heavily advertise their at Catalinas relationship

Garhauer is a truly customer service company and has well made stuff at usually more thrifty pricing than the competitors.

I have their 1.25 inch davits, radar pole and engine hoist, line stoppers turning blocks. Have thought about replacing my travel or with theirs. I saw that replacement on a SN members 37 Tartan and liked it

I have no affiliation with them

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Isn't Garhauer standard equipment on Catalinas?
Not sure what you mean by the “look” as they are completely Stainless steel
Heavy and solid construction
10 year warranty vs 5 for Spinlock and other clutches
Don't take it personal! I just think they look a bit industrial for my taste that's all.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts