SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Moody 376
373 Posts
Haul yourself up the mast unassisted device??
thats what i though too....
but the zrt progrip is just a ratchet strap tie down device. not to be used for climbing..
and the harken bits match up to this

·
Master Mariner
9,322 Posts
I also think this is to go aloft unaided. I've built one for every sailboat I've owned. A good bosun's chair, a couple of double blocks and around 5x your mast height and you are good to go. On a trans Atlantic crossing had to use one in 40 knots, and I survived, though a bit bruised.
Personally, I wouldn't trust a cam/jam cleat with my life, so I use the knot invented for exactly that rig.

·
Always learning...
105 Posts
This is a Harken Hoister, used to hoist things (kayaks, bikes, truck caps, Jeep tops, etc.) to a garage ceiling or similar.

It is most certainly not a system for climbing anything or supporting humans aloft, unless you like high risk of serious injury. The unrated plastic snap buckles, unknown webbing, and lightweight frame clutches should perhaps be avoided in climbing systems.

·
Always learning...
105 Posts
This is a Harken Hoister, used to hoist things (kayaks, bikes, truck caps, keep tops, etc.) to a garage ceiling or similar.

It is most certainly not a system for climbing anything or supporting humans aloft, unless you like high risk of serious injury. The unrated plastic snap buckles, unknown webbing, and lightweight frame clutches should perhaps be avoided in climbing systems.
Oh, and the black line with a ratchet hook is just a simple hardware store style tie-down. Also not recommended for climbing anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts